Identifying a hitchhiker

kmckienz

Reefing newb
A day after adding some brine shrimp to my tank these little "bugs" were attached to the side of the tank glass. There are a few different species. Some look like copepods and that is great. But the one I am concerned about I can't seem to find any pictures or info on it. They are small, a little smaller than a pin head. They are white-clear with a circular body and legs all the way around. Imagine drawing a picture of the sun when you were a kid. You would draw a circle and than lines coming out all around. That's what these look like.

Any ideas? Information?

Thanks,
Kathy

Last edited:
They are hydroids(hydrozoa) Kathy, Ive been reading and a lot of people are having the same problem lately there is some speculation that the recent eclispse has something to do with a large worldwide bloom. They are related to jellyfish. Someone with more experience will chime in on weather they are tolerable or able to be terminated.

Without a macro shot this only a guess.It also sounds like free living hydroids to me as well.Those are usually harmless and tend to die off as the tank matures.

I found one on another forum that looks just like it. They did confirm them to be hydroids but did not give any detail. Do I need to be concerned? What can you tell me about them?

Thanks,
Kathy

tankhitchhiker.jpg

Kathy you should introduce yourself to the group on the welcome thread. Anyways welcome to the reef

Hydroids can sting other animals if there are a lot of them, but like others have said, they usually clear up on their own and don't cause any problems.

i had the same things aparently the fish will eat them but i didnt have fish and the just died off

if they're in free floating form, they may attach to your lr and grow stalks similar to a featherduster. beware of their sting. my hand is still itching and slightly red from a sting that is a month and a half old. im pretty sure it'll be a scar.

The free living hydroids won't become like the colonial hydroids....but you are right about the colonial hydroids having a big sting.

Back