If buying a complete used setup....

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Please do yourself a favor and bring a test kit with you. I learned the hard way. I've had my tank reset up now for about 6 months and was wondering why all my inverts were dying....Well the previous owner must have used copper to treat his fish and didn't tell me about it. Me being new didn't stop to ask why he had the tank setup for 3 years with plenty of liverock and only 1 fish......Now I am stuck with a really nice setup that I can only have fish in.....

I think the skimmer would be okay. What does someone else think???

You would have to ditch the liverock and sand for sure. :(

Your skimmer should be fine.No longer than its been running I doubt it would have enough copper in the plastic to hurt anything.

Dont hold me to this,But your tank would probably be alright if you just changed out the rock and sand.I really dont see the silicone and glass holding copper.
Of course you would have the pain of complete re-do of aquascaping,cycle and all.

Judging by the properties of glass and silicone I think the tank would be fine, and of course the lights, stand, probably the skimmer, for sure clean it out good with fresh water and make sure its clean. Ditch teh rocks and sand and start over and I think you should be fine... Go over the tank with lots of fresh water and a brand new non treated scrubbing pad (not too course, but if its glass it shouldn't scratch) and thoroughly clean it out with lots of water. If there is any copper residue it should wash off im sure if enough water is applied, and if not all of it, at least diluted to an undetectible about...
I'd go back to the guy and let him hear it, maybe he will realize that you found out his little secret that he doomed the tank like a moron and he will give you some cash to put towards new rock at least? Sorry to hear about the whole situation, that really sucks man. Good luck and dont give up though. Maybe keep some of the rock for a QT tank for fish only, or like biff suggested a nice FOWLR with some nice angels in it? I dont remember the size of the tank, but if its big enough that would be cool. I crave a tank with some big beautiful angel fish!

i agree with Yote and hotimport, clean the tank with a lot of warm water and i would add some vinegar in there to really clean it up good. ditch the rock and sand and start over. if there is still any trace of copper you could always run some cupramine in there to soak it up, but always research what ever you want to run in a SW tank.

Thanks for the advice everyone....Now I'm nervous about buying liverock from anyone as well. Is there any chance that if I bought from an online supplier that there would be any copper? I doubt it, but want to be sure before I do anything.
Good idea about keeping some rock for a qt tank.
Or just keep it fish only....Decisions decisions. It's only a 55 gallon. I'll sleep on it a bit and decide.
With Christmas coming and 3 little ones, the wife will probably say do the cheapest thing. But here is a good way to work on my lack of patience :)

If an online vendor sold copper laced live rock, they'd be out of business. I've never heard of anyone getting copper in the live rock they've ordered online, you should be safe.

Think of it like this.
Your order new rock online.You got to cure it.So you got a sure fire way to start the cycle on your "NEW" system.

Back