If you've got ink....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picasso

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

Do you regret it? Would you recommend it to your friends? How did you decide what to do and how did you find a reputable artist? I found a tatt that I like, it's a horse, but I was going to redraw it as a seahorse. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

http://www.igallopon.com/images/tattoo.jpg

thanks,
    Catherine

Picasso, Mar 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

HeavyHittah LivingReefs is like home

i think biff got tatts of seahorses but i can't remember

HeavyHittah, Mar 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Yep,Biffs got seahorses tattoed on her belly.

yote, Mar 13, 2009
  4. Picasso

dustin_P74

so your saying this guy should regret this tattoo
    [​IMG]

dustin_P74, Mar 13, 2009
  5. Picasso

HeavyHittah LivingReefs is like home

Bwahahahahaahahaah, that tatto=total fail. man i would be so ashamed of that tatt. he needs to get that covered with something and try again, LMAO!

HeavyHittah, Mar 13, 2009
  6. Picasso

d2mini VIP Member

I've got a full color tattoo on my ankle, and 2 weeks from today I fly up to ny for two 4-hour sessions in the chair (once friday, once saturday) and then in may I fly back for probably one more 4-hour session. This is a full color arm piece with some black and white mixed in.

No regrets for me on the first one. That was 5 years ago.
    I had to schedule this tattoo this past thanksgiving... the shop stays pretty booked.

d2mini, Mar 13, 2009
  7. Picasso

How did you pick your artist and your design? Are they letting you design it or do you have to pick something they have "on the wall"?

thanks,
    C

Picasso, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Picasso

Teixeira29 Live Rock Fish only

I was thinking about getting tattoos! Do they hurt? I am only 22 yrs old, so i have some time!

Teixeira29, Mar 13, 2009
  9. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

I've got...ummm...like 20+ tattoos. I don't remember. All of mine are fish themed, except for one. I don't regret them at all, and I've had them for a few years now. They hurt a lot less than I expected them too. It feels like you're being scratched with something hot, kinda like being scratched by a cat, or just having something dragged across your skin. The only spots that really made me uncomfortable were the ones on my ribcage, hipbones and the inside of my wrist. Any part of your body that even has a little bit of flesh or padding doesn't hurt.

Here are my seahorses:
    [​IMG]

Then I got a sand dollar in between them:
    [​IMG]

Then I got a bunch of seashells:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have a pair of rays:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And starfish around my left wrist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have another tattoo on my chest, but that one is personal and remains unphotographed :p

Bifferwine, Mar 14, 2009
  10. Picasso

d2mini VIP Member

For this one I had a basic idea of what I wanted and then I looked at portfolio after portfolio until i found someone I really liked.
    I couldn't find anyone in Houston so I started looking elsewhere. I just happened to find an article on this one studio that I thought was in NYC (which is cool cause i'm from the burbs up there, but after I had pretty much decided I was going to them I realized they were on Long Island, not far from my inlaws. I was up there for thanksgiving so I went in to check out the shop (which turned out to be really nice), met the artist, talked about what I wanted, traced my arm, put down a deposit, and scheduled my appts.

Anyway, no.... I personally wouldn't pick from a wall. My first one was designed by me and tweaked by the tattoo artist with another tweak by me before I was satisfied. For my new one, I gave this new artist just the general idea of what I wanted and I'm letting him fill in the blanks. But he's supposed to be emailing me a sketch any day now. I don't want to pick from a wall because if I'm going to put something permanent on my body I want it to be original.

When I got my first tattoo my wife got one too. She brought in a clothing tag that was designed by some cool graphic illustrator and she basically just told the artist to do something similar in that style but design it for her lower back. Turned out cool and totally different than any lower back tattoo you've ever seen.

So do lots of research on the artists, different tattoo styles, etc. You can always give them a mish-mash of ideas and let them figure out how to put it together. You could say something like, "I want a sea horse like this, but done in this style and in these colors, but put something like water and other ocean stuff swirling around them however you think would look best." Ya know? Go in with the basic idea and then let the artist do his thing with it and see what he comes up with.

d2mini, Mar 14, 2009
  11. Picasso

SSalty Team Liquid Force

Tatoo's are an absolute turnoff for me. IMO, a person with a tatoo has some self confidence issues.

I girl who has a rose tattooed on her chest will turn into a long stemmed rose when she is 65 years old. Now, imagine when a girl gets a tramp stamp... Of course people will not regret getting a tatoo when they are young, now when they get old is another issue.

Sorry for being so blunt.

SSalty, Mar 14, 2009
  12. Picasso

d2mini VIP Member

That's not what I would call it. :squint:

Pretty much everything you said (other than it being a personal turnoff) is completely unfounded bullshit.

Not sorry for being blunt. I hate ignorance.

d2mini, Mar 14, 2009
    BigSteve likes this.
  13. Picasso

cthegame

Biff you;re a walking aquarium lol. So even if you get old all your little critters will get old with you and they will never get sick on you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    cthegame, Mar 14, 2009
  14. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

Hahahaha. I know. The only pets I have that will never die :(

Bifferwine, Mar 14, 2009
  15. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

I think of it differently. I don't think I have any self-confidence issues. Because of my job and the nature of my profession, none of my tattoos are visible. They are all in places that only I or people close to me can see. My parents have never even seen some of them. The one on my wrist was done within the outline of the watch I wear to work, so it will always be covered at work too. If me getting tattoos was about self-confidence, then why would I get tattoos that only I can see? They were for me, not for anyone else, and not for anyone else to see. If it was a self-confidence issue, it would make more sense for me to get them in places that would draw people's attention to get them too look at me, to compliment me, or whatever. No one knows that I have tattoos unless I go out of my way to show them. And I don't really go around taking off my shirt.

Also, my tattoos are excellent motivation to stay in shape. The majority of them are on my stomach. Right now, my stomach is pretty damn flat (if I do say so myself ;)). I work out to keep myself in shape. I know that if I let my stomach get flubby, my tattoos will look like crap, so that's a pretty good way to keep my "canvas" as ripped as possible! If/when I ever have kids, the tattoos will be the impetus I need to get back in shape again and not let myself go. Being chubby would be even more embarrassing if I was an inked up chub!

I don't have a tramp stamp, like I said, I did not get any of my tattoos for anyone except for myself.

And about the rose on the chest becoming a long-stemmed rose, well there are times when I wish I was blessed with more than the small B cup I was born with. But at least I know when I get older, I can't be saggy if there's nothing there to sag in the first place!! The tattoo on my chest isn't on my boob anyways. Hahaha. It's about 2 to 3 inches below my collar bone.

Plus, by the time I'm 65, I hope to god I've lived a fulfilling and satisfying enough life that I really don't give a damn how my stomach appears. Who is gonna be looking at my stomach or my chest when I'm 65? No one but me, my NDB and my doctors. So please, if I'm 65 years old and my biggest concern is the ink on my belly, please shoot me. I expect I'll be having too good of a time traveling, enjoying my family and LIVING to think about that.

As for it being a turnoff -- that's fine. I have no problem with that, different people have different turn ons and turn offs, and that's perfectly respectable. Piercings are a total turnoff to me -- always have been. Even ear piercings. HATE THEM! GROSS! But I managed to fall in love with someone with body piercings in spite of that. I realize that physical appearance has nothing to do with who the person is inside, and what's on the outside of their body is no reflection whatsoever about how good of a person they are and how well they treat others.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    Bifferwine, Mar 14, 2009
  16. Picasso

I used to feel that way when I was younger. I thought that tatts were ridiculous, but that was in the late '70's and tatts have come a long, long way since then. The newer technologies are able to add color and intricate design such that these are really works of art. As far as the age thing, I'm 46 and after having a child, breastfeeding and a lifetime of southern cooking, most of my parts that are going to have already headed south. Now, I have come to see the tattoo as using the body as a canvas to provide the opportunity of self-expression. Some tatts are trampy but then some people are trampy. Some tatts are beautiful works of art and likewise some people live their lives as a work of art. I think the decision of what makes a tatt an expression of "self-confidence issues" or a "tramp stamp" or a "work of art" or just "fun and whimsical" should be determined on a case by case basis by someone who has compassion and interest in their fellow humans, not by one who is in the habit of judging books by their covers or by making blanket over generalizations.

Picasso, Mar 14, 2009
  17. Picasso

ltljoker The Great Tang Herder

ive got 7 tats got the first one about 9 years ago dont regret any the first few that i got were in tyler texas at a shop called outlaw tattoos and they did awesome work and they will design most anything that u want if they are still there they did a rememberence tat for me

ltljoker, Mar 14, 2009
  18. Picasso

BigSteve Reeferhead

The most important thing IMO is to make sure your tatts have significant meaning to you, if you love them then they will never look bad to you no matter how old you/they are. I also have around 20 and the longest I've ever sat is 9 hours at one time as well as 5 hours twice on 2 different tatts. They are what they are and if you can't like or associate yourself with me than your probaly not the kind of person I want to get to know either, thats my philosphy.

BigSteve, Mar 14, 2009
  19. Picasso

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I personally dont mind tatts as long as their done with taste,although I dont have any.
    I just dont think I could sit there for 3 or 4 hours and let somebody draw on me when I couold be down at the LFS or sporting goods store.

yote, Mar 14, 2009
  20. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yote! I wouldn't expect any other response from you :D

Bifferwine, Mar 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question