Ignorant First Time Reef Aquarist

tribes

Reefing newb
i'm brand new to reef aquariums and am looking to transform my brackish tank to saltwater over the next couple of months. i've done a good deal of research on my own and even gone to several different reef shops in the area. my problem is that pretty much everyone tells me conflicting advice and i don't have a clear consensus on a issues. i'll fill you in on the details,

my current set up: 20 gallon half bow aquarium with heater, air pump w/bubble walls, a large drip filter, and a 15w fluorescent bulb. it has been set up about 3 weeks now with just sand as substrate and a couple of juvenile brackish puffers. currently the salinity is 1.015 and i plan to increase it more soon and remove the puffers.

now i understand i'll likely have to get a much higher watt bulb and reflective hood if i want anemone/reef and also would need a power head/protein filter. i feel like i sort of have some basics down and some of the "what not to do's" but when it comes to the actual methods i'm completely ignorant. and the reef stores i've been to the people have been very short and arrogant with my questions/assumptions as a newb.

so here are my main questions:
1. with a 20 gallon tank is it absolutely critical that i -
a: have a power head (there is alot of current in the tank already with bubble walls/a large drip filter),
b: have a protein filter with such a large drip filter already,
c: have a higher wattage hood for higher watt bulbs since the tank is small.
d. if i need a new hood/light, power head/protein filter, or anything else what should i be looking for in regards to a 20 gallon tank?

2. i don't understand how i should go about getting my aquarium ready to introduce live rock and reef materials like crushed coral and then what to do/how long to wait before i introduce inverts/anemone.

3. i have no idea what anemone could survive in a 20 gallon tank, suggestions on this would be great as many i find have conflicting descriptions on what their ideal set up is.i've read anything from atlantic tip anemone, sebae anemone, and beadlet anemone could survive in such a small tank. i, however, have also found conflicting data regarding those.

4. what fish should i keep in here? i understand some species of clownfish might do well with a smaller atlantic tip anemone and dart fish like firefish do well in smaller tanks. what fish/inverts/corals should i avoid?

Last edited:
I'll do my best to provide some recommendations for you.

First off, Anemones are probably the hardest thing to keep in this hobby, and should not be put in a tank unless it has been up, running, and VERY stable for at least a year. If an anemone dies, it releases toxins that can and will kill other things in your tank, especially in such a small water volume.

Saltwater is not the same as freshwater, get rid of the bubble walls you currently have. I would run a powerhead for flow. Depending on the types of corals and fish you're interested in, you want anywhere from 10x - 30x flow in your tank (which would be 200 - 600 gph for a 20 gallon tank)

On a tank that small, if you keep up on maintenance and do not overfeed, a protein skimmer is not necessary. That being said, running one would not be a bad idea.

As far as lights go, I would look at a T5 fixture or LED's, as I think metal halides would be over kill.

Another note on stocking, again satlwater is not the same as brackish / fresh. You're really limited in a 20 gallon tank. If you do a pair of clowns, you're basically at your stocking limit.

Hello and Welcome!

Northstar has you covered!!

I highly suggest looking at all the articles on here and the different threads, the advice we have to give on those is the best we have. We are also not trying to sell you anything, so our advice is unbiased. Plus, we like to see people succeed here!

If there is anything I regret about my tank set up, it's the subrate I chose. I have crushed coral and shells (although this might help with calcium). I'd much rather have fine sand. There are some cool sand dwelling or sifting creatures you could consider that you cannot really enjoy with large substrate.

Definetily use sand instead of crushed coral as your substrate. Crushed coral traps debris and can lead to problems with nitrate levels in the future.

Welcome to the site. You've come to the right place for advice.

Go north, good advice so far ;)

I will also say, the drip filter is useless for reef tanks. Thats what your talking about for your bacteria.

Live rocks will house your bacteria in the tank to break down ammonia into nitrates. The skimmer however is the best way of removing unwanted bad chemicals from the tank.

I would suggest a few things

1. bubble wall must go.
2. Powerheads have to go in - no flow means no oxeygen
3. Skimmer installed and drip filter removed
4. Strong lights - 4 watts per gallon is normally recommended for T5 and LED's are a little bit different.
5. Make sure you have all test kits. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, Phosphates.
6. And like north said, you can house 2 fish which is your limit. However, if you were to have 2 clownfish and one firefish I would say this is also a good stocking amount. Anymore and you are pushing it.

You will not be able to have any dragonette fish in that tank unless they are feeding off frozen food or you have a good source of live food being cultured.

Plus, welcome to the forums :)

Back