iIs this dead?

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So, when I got it, it was looking kinda yellow and bluish. Now it doesn't look so full of color. It looks kinda...well...dead. I have not really had SPS corals before and am not sure what do look for. What do you think?

-Doc

PB150012.jpg

The top looks like is bleached pretty bad,but still has some color down toward the bottom.

Didnt you just switch to T-5 lights?
If you did,them try placing it down closer to the bottom untill it start coloring back up.

it was hard to see if there were polpys on it. I noticed that it was really white today and moved it halfway down. I thought they liked light? It was under MH at the LFS and seemed to be OK there, it was a bit yellow, and I thought that was its natural color. Huh. Should I move it to the bottom of the tank?

-Doc

Yeah, looks bleached. They can come back from bleaching, even after looking dead for months. I've seen it happen. Put it at the bottom for now, and move it up a couple inches every few weeks. Don't give up on it just yet.

guess I will drop it on the bottom of the tank. On the positive side, it has not been covered in any algae, I think that is a good sign, right?

-Doc

I hate to think of the amount of money I have wasted buying stuff that just died. Breaks my heart...and wallet. I could have paid off my wife's car with the money I have spent. But, the trade off is....wow, the beauty of the tank, and the peace it gives me. Kinda like my own personal therapy.

-Doc

I had several SPS frags bleach out when I first added them to my tank, and I just left them all in there. I've seen them come back from bleaching 3 or 4 months later. You never know.

Thats the thing about T-5 lights.
If you dont take the time to acclimate stonies to the lights,they will bleach every time.

what is weird is that they were in a tank with MH for a week before I got it. I also have three other SPS that I put in similar spots in the tank that seem to be doing great. I don't know, If it is dead, my wife told me she wants it for a collection of seashells and corals for the living room. Either way, it will get use

-Doc

Doc,
Take this with a grain of salt,But I think acros tend to bleach a whole easier than most of the other SPS corals.
Every single acro that I've put in my tank has bleached.But they all came back after 2 or 3 weeks.They all came out of tanks with MH lighting too.

K. I will take comfort in that. I will give it some time, or else it will be a shelf ornament

-Doc

Back