I'm A Beginner Saltwater Inthusiast, would this be a good stock?

HSalty

Reefing newb
I have a 33 gallon tank with lots of live rock and filtration. the water quality is perfect in my tank! and I was considering doing 2 ocellaris clowns, a firefish, a chromis and 2 pajama cardinals. But I just don't seem that excited about the chromis and the cardinals. I already have the firefish and one clown and a zebra hermit crab. So, instead of the chromis and cardinals I was considering a yellowtail damsel. I know they can be pretty aggressive and I am going to try my best not to choose the most aggressive one at the store and place it in my tank LAST. I just love the color of the yellowtail damsel. And I was considering a yellow clown goby too. They stay pretty small and I don't think the damsel will bother him. And a peppermint srimp. Would this work? So, all together this is what my tank would be.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 firefish
1 yellowtail damsel
1 yellow clown goby
1 zebra hermit
1 peppermint shrimp

I would really like some suggestions as I am still learning the ropes of stocking a SW tank. Thanks.

You really only want about one small fish for every 10 gallons, but i think you stocking list would be fine for your tank if you take it slow and keep up on the maintance. But in such a small tank i think the chance the damsel turning into a holy terror is pretty high, even if you add them last. I would look into the chromis or cardinal instead.

+1 little fish

The first thing I notcied was a looooot of fish. Your tank cannot handle that amount. I would think you can have 2 clowns and a firefish and maybe push it with a cardinal. But that is above your maximum capacity. Your water would need to be changed often to keep up with bioload as they grow and as you over feed (we all do it)

I also would not recommend a damsel. My damsel was kept in check because I have one big mean mofo of a clownfish. But just to give you an idea on how much fish is good, I have a 60g tank and only have 2 clowns a green mandarin and a lawnmower blenny.

shrimps and hermits are fine, they wont add to the bioload.

In my experience, yellow tails are some of the least aggressive damsels, so if you're going to go with one, a yellow tail is not a bad choice.

I also agree with the others that your tank is going to be way overcrowded if you try to add all those fish. That will make any aggression/territoriality problems even worse.

If the clowns pair up they will likely kill anything added to the tank. That being said a species only tank with a pair of clowns and anemone can be a very nice tank. (If and when your tank has matured enough to support an anemone.)

What? Tons of people have pairs of clowns in community tanks. Certain types of clowns are more aggressive than others, for sure. But it's not common for pairs of clowns to kill other things in the tank at all.

BTW welcome back Dave! Where have you been?

Last edited:
Whatever you decide on your fish, just be sure and take it slow. Don't add all of them at once. You've got to let your tank adjust to having fish (bioload) carefully.

I agree that may be a bit to many fish. I have always stayed away from damsels now because of their attitude. But i think you would be fine with that amount of fish if added slowly over time and it depends on your tank setup. If your running a decent sump with a good nutrient exporter like a scrubber or chaeto/fuge 4-5 fish in a 33 would work. Biggest thing is add slowly. If your water is in perfect condition then add one at a time and watch the water quality slowly in between over weeks.

Its not always water quality issues that prevent adding more fish. It territories and making sure each fish has enough space. Over crowding leads to stress which is the fast lane to disease and death.

Back