I'm feeling stupid please help

Gatilidie

Reefing newb
Hey everyone I went to my L.f.s (Noah's ark) and asked the things I need they gave me a starter kit (75gal) said use the filter and by a power head live sand and live rocks I let it stand a month before I put anything in it I put damels in for a month and now I have put in my crabs and other fish but now reading you guys set ups I feel I have endangered my fish I plead for anyone please walk me through changes and basic things i need to do thanks and I'm sorry for such a mess in this run on sentence

okay, well live rock and sand is a good start. you also should probably get another powerhead to make current through the whole tank. i would get a good protein skimmer, their are even hang on the back skimmers of which reef octopus makes a nice one. from what you put your lfs told you to cycle a tank with fish which is inhumane. on living reefs we use a table shrimp to cycle the tank. i wouldnt use that filter at all it can trap debris and become a nitrate factory.

dont worry everything will get straightened out..:D
Yes the fish to start the tank was horrible ( not your fault)..
for skimmer I would look into a a good one( reef octopus does make a nice skimmer)..
One like this
Reef Octopus BH 800SBS Hang on Back Protein Skimmer with Sicce Pump by CoralVue - AquaCave
or similar size rating try to get around double your display size.... liverock, rule of thumb is 1 to 2 pounds per gallon.
powerheads try to get about 30 times your tank size or better per hour will give you plenty for corals down the road..
I would also ditch the filter more headache then bennifit..

Ok after chasing the damsel and getting them sacked I finally just gave them the fish I smiled and left not worth the small money lose. I took the filter off and waiting on the murck to settle I will need advice of power head as mine is no where near 30x tank size only twice the size, I now have my mated clarkii clowns and one green goby an my cleaning crew and box crab, I left the dead beauty for the box or is that bad idea

Probably a bad idea, a large fish in a small tank can cause quite the parameter spike. Plus if im thinking of the correct animal, a box crab really wont feed from the dead fish like other crabs would.

Well finally after ally of money spent I think i corrected my mistake on equipment,I went an got a marineland magnum 350 canister filter a seaclone 100 protein skimmer marine land single bright led 2 of them moonlight and daylight 60 mw LEDs and finally a aqueon circulation pump 950, am I missing anything and I also left in my other powerhead and filter til my other gets right. Please did I miss anything

Just make sure you don't skip at all! Other wise weekly should be fine
But all you really need is a skimmer,good flow and live rock

Actually the seaclone is one of the worst skimmers you can buy, if its not too late, i would return it. Also the canister filter isnt going to be a big help to you. You would be far better served to have a good skimmer and just do regular water changes.

Also, i dont think those lights will be good enough to anything but low light corals, and definitely not a nem. Nems are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby and I dont recommend them for a tank under a year old. They require pristine, stable water conditions to thrive, which is not found in young tanks. They also have very high lighting requirements.

Big props on the Reef Octopus or the AquaC Remora skimmers. They are both HOB and work great. You don't need the canister filter or any other sort of filter. I've been running my 50 gallon without one pretty much the entire time. I used to have a BioWheel, but my nitrates were staying at 40 ppm. Got rid of it, and they dropped right down!

Anyway, Noah's Ark is an ok LFS, but you really have to watch them. For advice and research, come here first and don't really listen to what they have to say. For instance, they really push cycling with damsels, but everyone here knows better! They also don't quarantine their fish at all, so you really need to have a hospital tank set up if you're going to be buying fish from them.

As to the lights, single brights won't probably be strong enough for anything but softies like zoas and shrooms, and certainly not for a nem! You really need the reef-capables for even the easiest of nems.

i would be scared to try a nem with reef capables

Yeah. There are a couple easy ones you can probably get away with if they find a home high up in the tank. But for the most part I agree with you, nano. Nems are better left to higher lighting than the marinelands provide.

yeah, imm gonna have some super bright lights, going from 72 watts of t5(4 18 watt bulbs) to 32 3 watt cree leds so 72 watts or t5 to 96 watts of led haha

Back