I'm finally ready to start!

It is at my budget and it looks pretty good. I want a 100+ tank, but right now isn't the time, hopefully after I graduate I can start building my dream tank.

I now need a return pump, he had a mag 7 on before and it worked. Any suggestions on a quiet pump?

Thanks guys, and girl

Mags are great pumps. I also have been using Eheims for years -- they are excellent and quiet. Rio Hyperflows are quite a bit cheaper and a lot of people have been really happy with them too. A lot of people stand by the Quiet One brand of pumps.

Great, i need something quiet cause the tank is going in my room.

And I think it's a good price too, a new tank and hood alone would cost just about that.

Thanks guys

Great, i need something quiet cause the tank is going in my room.

And I think it's a good price too, a new tank and hood alone would cost just about that.

Thanks guys

I don't care how quiet you make a tank, I don't think it can be quiet enough for a bedroom.

Alot of people keep tanks in bedrooms, I have one in mine right now and up to now it's been pretty quiet, not silent, but it's not bad. And I've seen some pretty silent tanks too, hopefully it'll work out fine.

My 125 is in my bedroom and I never notice the noise it makes,until its NOT making noise.Then I know somethings wrong somewhere.

I'm picking up the tank today, but I have a couple questions. The tank is being broken down right now, but he told me he would leave the 60 pounds of live sand in the tank.

Can I put it in buckets or a big trash bag and still keep it alive?

When I bring it home, can I just transfer my tank into there (water, sand and animals), since that live sand is cyled and my sand is cycled, it would be like doing a 50% water change right?

Also, can I keep my fish and shrimp in seperate zip-lock bags while I work on the new tank?

You can place the sand in buckets without a problem. Just keep it covered with water. Ziplock bags are not big enough for fish and they could easily suffocate. They need a bucket or tote with a heater and power head if out of the tank more than just to transfer.

How long should I wait before putting the fish back in?

I was thinking of this small 5 gal tote to put them in, all there is in the tank is a clown, two shrimp, two hermit crabs and snail. Is that too small?

That tote will work just fine for what you've got.
One thing you'll want to do,is wash the sand out good.When you start scooping it out and moving it around,your going to release all kinds of nasty crap that can kill the tank.

Run fresh clean water through it until the water is clear.
What I did when I transfered my stuff,was put the sand in 5 gallon buckets.Then I took the water hose outside and kept enough flow to churn the sand until the water coming over the sides of the buckets was fairly clean.
You dont want to churn the sand so much that the sand pours over the bucket rim,just the waste thats trapped in the sand.You'll be able to see which is which when you start.

Yep.But its a small price to pay for the prevention on a full out ammonia off the charts cycle when you've got animals in the tank.

Back