I'm finally ready to start!

Will do.

So the sump had a baffle being used as a fuge with some live rock, it's dead now so should I wash it and leave it in freshwater to clean it? How do I seed it again later? Or should I just add some cheato? There is an extra plug for a 55 watt cf, or a little fluorescent hood, can I use one of these for the cheato?

One thing you'll want to do,is wash the sand out good.When you start scooping it out and moving it around,your going to release all kinds of nasty crap that can kill the tank.

Well..... I put the sand in the tank and left it overnight, it was horrible, this sand was more like mud, and the water an almost solid yellow. When I thought it was clearing up, I found a thick layer of muck on the sand. I ended up having to drain the 30 gallons I had put in, and cleaning the sand anyway. :frustrat:

Yote, now would be a good time to say 'I told you so'

After cleaning it, I dried it and transfered my old tank's water and sand and some rocks into the new one. Then I added another bag of arag-alive, I was hoping it would seed the washed sand, so now I have almost 2 pounds per gallon of sand.

It's been a while since I was last on!

I started adding some coral into the tank, one pulsing xenia, and the other unknown, I forgot what it was :(

I also added a diamond goby and a blue tang. I know it's a gamble but my lfs, who's kept them for over 30 years, said that once brought in this small, they will have limited growth and not be affected.

What do you guys think? We really want a yellow tang too, the lfs said it'd be fine, should I try?

Back