Im gettin nervous about my stand

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
my stand is a real nice looking oak stand but the more i put in the more i am thinking "is it strong enough?" in the back there is three 1x3 boards suporting it two on the ends and one in the middle. how do you know if your stand is good enough?should i add 2x4 reinforcements?

Did you build it yourself or purchase it for your tank?

Just asking because if you purchased it from the LFS, and it is rated for the size tank you have, then it should be good. If you built it yourself, and followed the directions, it should be good

that is plenty my tank is oak plywood with nailed togetherthe main supports in the from and back are only 3/4in wide by 3 in long.it does not take muck to hold the weight unless something is pushing on the tank to make it sway then not even 2x4 will be strong enough to hold the tank

When I tore down my 240 and got rid of the tank, I had the stand left. And I gotta tell you, I nearly had a heart attack. I was SO LUCKY. The wood was so soft from being exposed to water over the years. And this stand was held together by tiny nails -- not even screws! Like the kind of nails you hang pictures with! NDB had to take the stand out to the dumpster, and he broke it into small pieces BY HAND. The nails just broke in half, that's how old they were. Oh man if that thing had busted while I was using it, I would have been soooo scewed.

one of the things that I have to take into account is the weight of the entire setup. I am going to get under my house and put up several 4x4 supports under the area of my tank to help avoid that type of disaster
:bowdown::bounce:

When I tore down my 240 and got rid of the tank, I had the stand left. And I gotta tell you, I nearly had a heart attack. I was SO LUCKY. The wood was so soft from being exposed to water over the years. And this stand was held together by tiny nails -- not even screws! Like the kind of nails you hang pictures with! NDB had to take the stand out to the dumpster, and he broke it into small pieces BY HAND. The nails just broke in half, that's how old they were. Oh man if that thing had busted while I was using it, I would have been soooo scewed.

Now that would have made for an interesting thread! :shock:

Back