im going to give it one more shot. please help me pick fish

hart.thomas

Reefing newb
Hi,
some people might recognize me from all my questions. i recently had a large issue if a slimy algea and thought it was my crushed coral substrate so i took everything out and scooped out the crushed coral and added fine sand instead. there is a layer of whatever is one step up in size from fine under the fine sand. both my fish died in this process so now all i have is my coral banded shrimp, red thorny star fish, condy anenome(if it doesnt die), and 8 large blue legged hermit crabs. my tank is a 39gallon cube tank with somewhere between 20-30 pounds of live rock stack in the back. i do have an upgraded light so coral is an option.

i want a peaceful tank with no chance of one thing eating another. One thing that has almost ruined this hobby for me is buying a fish after talking to someone and then finding out it wont be a good fit and i will ultimately need to get rid of it. i just want a beautiful colorful peaceful active setup. thank you for listening and i anticipate your help

I have a Coral Beauty that is active and has an awesome color too. Mine gets along with everything i have in the tank, i seen him swim with my clowns and my kole tang like it was some fun dance.

If your anemone is on its way out, you'd better pull it out of your tank now. When they die, they release there stingers and can nuke a whole tank....

Use the guides on Live Aquaria and look for fish that have size requirements that will work with your 40 gallon

Some more peaceful fish I can think of now that would work would be a Royal Gramma, Yellow Assesor, Cardnialfish, and several of the clowns. Feel free to research and post your questions here - we'll be happy to answer them for you

+1 north
And the red thorny starfish needs a new home if you want corals, unfortunatly theyll eat the coral

Can I get the bicolored Angelfish and the coral beauty? We are for sure getting s black clown fish and an orange clown fish. And ya I'm sad but I have to get rid of the starfish.

+1 Biff. Two angels could NOT co-exist in a small tank.

+1 to the Royal Gramma, great little colorful non-aggressive fish. Also Firefish.

Can I get the bicolored Angelfish and the coral beauty? We are for sure getting s black clown fish and an orange clown fish. And ya I'm sad but I have to get rid of the starfish.

Two dwarf angels will not work in a tank that size unless its a pair, you'll have fishy fight club on your hands

+3 on the fighting thing. May I suggest the Midas Blenny or the Starry Blenny? A dwarf angel is a great choice, but unless you specifically buy two already paired, stay away from trying two in a system that small. Since you're set on a pair of clowns, I think you would be very happy with a blenny and a dwarf angel to round out the stock list. Those would provide color, personality, and movement throughout the tank.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. my girlfriend is very set on the clowns. so only 1 dwarf angel? i like the flame one and the bicolored and the coral beauty is one better than the others? i also want to get an urchin. and an anenome. im going to get rid of the condy anenome. whats the little white and purple thing with the antenna on its head? can i get 2 of those? and i do want a blenny or groby but i want one that will help clean the sand. and what a colorful reef safe starfish?

Last edited:
I'd say wait at least 8 months before you venture into getting a 'nem or starfish. Those 8 months will go by super fast! As for the angels, I think you'd be good with either the flame or coral beauty, but the bicolors are one of the more aggressive dwarf angels and far less reef safe than the other two. Urchins are fine - I'd look into a tuxedo, short-spined pincushion, or hairy pincushion. Some of the others (like the long-spine) will get too big for your tank. You can add a brittle star (just not the green ones) to help as a member of your cuc, along with snails. Feather dusters are another fun invert (though stay away from coco worms). Have you thought about doing any corals? While you are limited in fish and the types of inverts you can have for your tank size and age, you can add lots of fun and cool corals, provided you have the lighting for them. Adds a totally new dimension to the tank!

Back