I'm Going to Start a Dude Ranch!

Peka has great ponies, shes the guru around here for anything seahorse related. Her horses are top notch, wont find better quality anywhere else. I will be picking up a pair from her soon :)

Seems like a fine place, just be sure you do your research and have a proper tank set up for them before you get them and Im sure you will be fine!

The only thing i see kinda bad about her site is the acclimation info isnt very detailed. I know what she is trying to say but i think for beginners it isnt specific enough.

Better version:
When the ponies arrive if the are within 10 degs of your tank water temp place them in and float them for a half hour WITHOUT OPENING THE BAG! If they are outside of that temp range, place the bag on a counter for an hour or and then float them for the recommended length of time.
Once they are temperature acclimated, open the bad and IMMEDIATELY move them into their new tank with your hand, and dont get any of the shipping water in your tank.
This is different from what people normally do with fish, but most people arent getting their fished shipped to them overnight.

Heres why: When the fish release ammonia during shipping it lowers the pH of the saltwater, and at lower pH the ammonia is less toxic, however when you open the bag, the air reacts with the components in the water raising the pH making the ammonia much more toxic.

Thanks little fish. She is close enough to me that I will be picking them up but the extra information is much appreciated. I also don't plan to get any until spring. I'm leaving for vacation in a few weeks and want to wait until I return to start up the tank. I'd like to have time to get it going and get some plants (caulerpa prolifera) going. Any other recommendations for plants?

Mine love that type, but my the few stocks of this: <head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae have finally started to take off and they look really nice and the seahorses like them. That is a good place to get stuff.

Also ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Plants/Macroalgae is another good place to order stuff. They have some really nice stuff. I havent personally ordered from them, but Picasso has and was really please. I hope to order some stuff from them in january.

I might have mentioned this before ( i was thinking about fish 'n stuff on the drive home) but when i set my tank up i really wish i had put in the macro before i got the seahorses and let it get established. They are so much more happy with it and i see them so much more.

Just a thought for when you plan out your tank!

I might have mentioned this before ( i was thinking about fish 'n stuff on the drive home) but when i set my tank up i really wish i had put in the macro before i got the seahorses and let it get established. They are so much more happy with it and i see them so much more.

Just a thought for when you plan out your tank!

Thanks for the headsup! I'll remember to do that :D

Thank you for the offer but I need to make more space in the fuge for the red macro, its been going quick and the green macro just grows way to darn quick. Pm me if you would like me to send some your way. Just need $10 to ship it to you :)
Sweet, lets get a macro exchange going! Id be happy to send out some of mine!

Back