Im setting up my lighting on my 55gal

garydm

Reefing newb
I’m well on my way to completing my 55 tank that I failed on the first go around..... Now the lfs sold me a bunch of stuff that made my tank fail, I’m assuming the lighting is like everything else and is inadequate like the rest of my setup.....so I need some advice.....I have a t-5 2 bulb light 54w a bulb and its not much light.....I’m building a reef tank and need suggestions on lighting to keep what ever I put in the rocks to live
I have a budget but the biggest part is for lighting so what advice do ya have if you were going out today and buying a lighting system
I’m ordering mine online so I’m open
I’m thinking 6 bulb setup just do not know much about kind of light I need to grow leathers and polyps and anemone's

Combo MH/T5's are what's hot right now. Some people use Aquatraders and are happy and some aren't. Price is right though.

Several of us use this system:
Current USA Outer Orbit 10K HQI-MH w/ T5 HO & Lunar Lights

WOW!!! that is a huge light.....the price is a little more than I have budget for but if thats what I need to not have to worry about what I put in there than Ill save up aliitle and get it.....Tahnks for the quick reply

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...=1186&osCsid=422fd53a2986ef987990768c30d4556a

If you use the 4 watt per gallon rule that would barely be enough light. Just under actually, but you could just move things up in your tank if they require more light. It would be enough light for most things. However, lighting is costly and you don't want to have to turn around again and re-buy something later because it's better for your set-up. If you have to save a little to get the system that's best in the beginning, then I would.

you are gonna need mh or a heck of alot of t-5s for anemone's. They require as much light as sps if not more from what I understand. That outer orbit is a good fixture. If you decide not to go with anemone's or sps you could get a much cheaper one. However if you decide later to add then then you would need to upgrade.

so if I buy the outer orbit it will allow for the sps and anemones??? also my tank measures 48" and the only ones to choose is 38" or 60" so can I run the 36" one

well if you hang it the light would hit the tank in a more broad pattern. And with a mh I think you should really hang them. You just dont get enough space between the tank top and the light to displace heat on those little legs. With that fixture you should be able to keep what ever you want.

Anemones are some of the most light demanding animals you can keep. If you don't want to keep anemones, you can get a much cheaper light set up, and still be able to keep most corals happy. I'd go with T5s for a tank your size, and avoid the PCs.

Back