im starting to show signs of hair algae

Keep up with water parameters. Totally normal for a new tank. Run some phosphate removal media in a canister filter or anywhere that water is forced through it. Don't overfeed. Use only RODI water. Feed only frozen.

Keep up with water parameters. Totally normal for a new tank. Run some phosphate removal media in a canister filter or anywhere that water is forced through it. Don't overfeed. Use only RODI water. Feed only frozen.

i have some phosguard should that help:question:

That should help a lot. Algae is caused by high nitrates and high phosphates. If you remove phosphates from the water, the algae should start dying off.

Thaw your frozen food before use and only feed the particles not the liquid. The fish will not eat the liquids so it is just gonna turn into pure algae food. Do you have hermits or something to eat the algae yet? Have you done any water changes since cycling? What are your tanks water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? More specific information will result in more specific and more substantiate replies.

Thaw your frozen food before use and only feed the particles not the liquid. The fish will not eat the liquids so it is just gonna turn into pure algae food. Do you have hermits or something to eat the algae yet? Have you done any water changes since cycling? What are your tanks water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? More specific information will result in more specific and more substantiate replies.

I have 2 hermits
I did a 10gallon water change satusay
parameters are
trite ~15
trate 5
ammonia 0
ph 8.1
salinity 1.025

I think he frozen food is what's doing it cause. I jus drop the frozen food in

I'll start thawing my food from now on

I also feed crispy flakes which they love and I monitor while they eat

For my goby and hermits I give algae waffers and sinking pellets

nitrites are fish poison dude. You will lose things fast if you keep having them. feed frozen only, not flakes.

get yourself two mexican turbo snails. they MUNCH on short hair algae.

-Doc

nitrites are fish poison dude. You will lose things fast if you keep having them. feed frozen only, not flakes.

get yourself two mexican turbo snails. they MUNCH on short hair algae.

-Doc

I got 3 hope they help
I'll be adding phosguard when I get home

i seen you have a 75 gal tank you need alot more than just 2 hermits more like at least 40 to 50 of them with alot a empty extra shells the more hermit crabs you have the more control on algae as they are tank cleaners that seems like alot but if you have alot of live rock they will go to work and you will not see them much due to they will go up in the holes of the rock to eat that algae good luck red legs are the best

Your still cycling! Do some water changes to minimize the nitrite. You must have some biological system by now, just an inadequate one. Do not feed any more than every two or three days until you read consistent zero nitrite. Your fish will not starve to death in a week or en days of minimal food , but feeding them evey day or even more will kill them with appreciable levels of nitrite. Using some Amquel would not be a bad idea. It will not remove anything but it should make any ammonia and nitrite non toxic. Do NOT add any snails, crabs or any other life forms until you have no nitrites without using water changes.

Last edited:
i heard phosguard contains aluminum that is bad for ur tank, i use phoszorb and so far its wrking good.

If it does have aluminum, it hasn't killed my corals or fish yet. Over three years, every day, all day, changed once a month. Just my opinion.

-Doc

If it does have aluminum, it hasn't killed my corals or fish yet. Over three years, every day, all day, changed once a month. Just my opinion.

-Doc

Hasnt killed anything in my tank and I been running it for a year now.

maybie the guy that said that was smoking somthing.

Not necessarily. I have heard from others much smarter than I that there is undesirables in the phosguard. I am just too stupid to change when my tank looks like this when running it all the time....

P3080005.jpg

Just my :twocents: :mrgreen:

-Doc

Back