I'm worried about this...

dankolle

Reefing newb
I found this guy after I just got back from a 2 week vacation. I have no clue want it is but for some reason I don't have a good feeling about it. Looks nasty...should I get out the super glue? (Not the bubble algae, the polyp looking thing below that...sorry for the corrupt image, but it does the job)

IMAG0743 by x2boarder, on Flickr

Thats what I was worried about...I have been hydroid free for about a year now and I just noticed a few colonies popping up around my tank now...Why does stuff always go so wrong when you leave on vacation?

Not that big a deal. Just kill it off and keep an eye out for anymore. They are bound to pop up from time to time as you add things to the tank here and there.

What about the hydroids tho? I have been using super glue to get them, but it seems like overnight they spring up again. I am entertaining the blow torch idea...I have corals affixed to all of my rocks that have hydroids on them...so I can just remove the rock without killing the coral...

I didn't see any Hydroids, just that Aiptasia. If you are able to pull the rocks out for a few minutes, you can take them to the sink and blast any Hydroid with Boiling water from a syringe or turkey baster. Just be sure to be careful with the corals that are on the rock.

I am going to try the boiling lemon juice injection method. Seems to work for people and it doesn't introduce checmicals into the aquarium. How best should I go about killing the little ones tho?

Back