im worried for my corals

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
as some of you know i got my new teks this week
the only down side is the corals that i had thiving with my PC's are all closed
with the exeption of some zoas and a leather (the smaller one)

on of my leathers (i think its a devils hand) has shrunk
my xenia has also stayed half the size it used to be
the alveopora has stayed completely closed
and the goni also stayed half the size it was

the lights are about 6 inches high of the tank

everything in my parameters is ok

meaning:

salinity 1.026
calcium 380
trites - undetectable
trates ~10
ammo-0
pH 8.3

how long untill they get regular size

ill be honest ive never heard of aclimating to lighting so how do i do that:frustrat:

new lights require corals to adjust their bodies. Move them lower in the tank for a few days while they are adjusting. Don't keep any close to the top, they might get scorched. a week to 10 days is normal. Good luck

-Doc

new lights require corals to adjust their bodies. Move them lower in the tank for a few days while they are adjusting. Don't keep any close to the top, they might get scorched. a week to 10 days is normal. Good luck

-Doc

yeah thats what i did thanks doc

so when i buy new corals what should i do place them at the bottom till they get used to the lights or what

You can also shield them with a couple layers of screening of some sort and remove a layer a week or so.

Like the others said,the corals need to be reacclimated to the new lights.The Tek is much more powerful than your old PC.Several layers of window screening is what I would use like Ryan mentioned.Remove a layer once a week.With your new lights,softies including the leather should be near the bottom and LPS corals no higher than half way up.Save the high places on the rocks for SPS corals.

You usually only have to adjust corals to your lights if they came from a different lighting situation. In your case, you had them under PCs (relatively weak lighting) then switched to Teks (relatively high lighting), so they'd need to be acclimated. Changing lights on them abruptly can shock them.

If you buy something from the LFS and it's under high lighting, then it will probably be fine without being acclimated to your lights at home. But if you buy something under weak lights, you'll need to acclimate that to your lights.

When I get new stuff, I usually keep them on the sandbed for about a week before I stick them up higher on the rocks. It also gives me time to decide where I want to glue the coral's butt down.

You usually only have to adjust corals to your lights if they came from a different lighting situation. In your case, you had them under PCs (relatively weak lighting) then switched to Teks (relatively high lighting), so they'd need to be acclimated. Changing lights on them abruptly can shock them.

If you buy something from the LFS and it's under high lighting, then it will probably be fine without being acclimated to your lights at home. But if you buy something under weak lights, you'll need to acclimate that to your lights.

When I get new stuff, I usually keep them on the sandbed for about a week before I stick them up higher on the rocks. It also gives me time to decide where I want to glue the coral's butt down.

cool you brought up another Q

about glue what king should i use ive heard that some people use just ordinary superglue which in my opinion sound toxic and that aquascaping glue seems expensive

also when gluing something like the goni which is on a stone can i glue the stone????

thanks in advance :^:

Superglue gel works fine. It's not toxic and will set in water if you apply it underwater. Be sure to use gel, regular superglue is too runny and won't work.

Another alternative that I use for bigger pieces is epoxy putty. You can find all sorts of brands at any hardware store (in the plumbing section). Be sure to buy one that says "Safe for Potable Water" or "Safe for Drinking Water". Epoxy takes much longer to set and doesn't hold as firmly, but it sets HARD and it works really well if use enough of it.

Glue the rock and not the coral whenever possible. The only times I've put superglue straight on the coral is for SPS corals or the skeleton base of corals and when I've gotten pissed at a mushroom that won't sit still and glued it straight to the rocks.

Biff has you covered. Get a nice bottle of super glue gel at Home Depot and you are good

-Doc

You should always avoid moving your corals when ever possible. The layers of screen method works great to acclimate a full tank when you are changing lights. It also works well when only a small area needs shading. Do this by putting plastic light grating over the tank and put the screening over just the area you want to shade or acclimate. This works well when you have an established tank and just bought one or a few new corals. Just put them where you ultimately want them, and shade just that area of the tank and remove just one layer of screen at a time. This will allow the rest of the tank to be in full light.

Back