Impulse buy...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Well, I went to my LFS to get some water and walked out with my first coral. I forgot what kind he called it but it's green. He said it is not an animal like most corals and it grows like crazy in tanks. He said it was a nuisance for some tanks. Looks like grass. I'll post a picture soon. I wasn't going to succumb to impulse purchases! Hope I don't kill it.

Catherine:shock:

i don't remember but has your tank finished its cycle?

My numbers have stayed good since I set up November 1st. Started with LR, LS and for two weeks have had pods, worms, snails, crabs and one pinky cuke. I was going to pay for this and leave it at the store but the guy assured me if my numbers were good I wouldn't have a problem. I hope not it's beautiful, on a clam shell that makes a pretty arch. I just noticed a little mushroom polyp and a couple of tiny worms on the piece though. I hope I can keep these guys alive!

Catherine

LFS owners can assure us of lots of things... Luckily for you, green star polyps should be easy, I had my first shrooms after 5 weeks time from startup, and have done well. I just got my first GSP's 3 weeks ago, so I'm not too familiar with how hardy they are, I'd take everyone else's word though, good starter coral from what everyone says. Just don't let your LFS talk you into a tang for that 26gal... ;)

Hey Picasso, does it look like the stuff in to top right hand corner closest to the water's surface of this pic??

DSC00931.jpg

If so then it's Green Star Polyp's. A very easy softy coral to grow. Just be weary of where you place it. If it get's on LR it can become really hard to get it back off. And it will over grow most other corals.

Impluse buying is most of the time the hardest :nono: for reefer's. And becareful of the LFS guy, sometime's they can me motivated to sales rather than doing the right thing. However in your case I don't think you will have an issue, I've read most of your build thread, your pretty much on track. GSP is a tough coral and a very rapid growing one. With it on a clam shell you have better options at where to place it. I give it away all the time, it's that easy & fast growing. I think you'll really like it :D.

Congrats on your First coral!!

HEY That's it! I'm charging my battery and will take photos very soon. My LFS guy would have let me pay for it and keep it at the store so he was going to get a sale either way. And, thanks I just put my clam shell on a nice spot on top of my LR so I'll move it! I wish he would put his arms out!

WooooHoooo, I have a coral!

Catherine

Can't wait to see pics and congrats on your first coral! Next thing you know, you'll need a support group for your new "habit"--always stopping in at whatever fish store you pass by and rarely come out empty-handed! I'm the worst when it comes to this...:mrgreen:

Can't wait to see pics and congrats on your first coral! Next thing you know, you'll need a support group for your new "habit"--always stopping in at whatever fish store you pass by and rarely come out empty-handed! I'm the worst when it comes to this...:mrgreen:
isnt that the truth, i went into a new fish store just to see an achilles tang in person since i heard they had some, i wound up leaving with a dussimeri tang and a clam

I've never started a thread about my new coral and didn't post any pics. Nope. Not me. Never done that.

:shock:

Congrats! :Cheers:

Most definately GSP. I think they look awesome, and were one of my first corals too! Luckily they never took off like my anthelia did. Please, don't buy anthelia!

I'm confused. Green star polyps ARE animals. As are all corals. Corals are animals that have a symbiotic relationship with certain species of algae that live in their tissues.

Oh yeah, but it is definitely GSP. Good choice for a first coral.

Back