In Over My Head (Newbie)

Piratefish

SPS Freak
I am sure that other people got their first tank free too. I will try to keep this short.
I got offered this 55gal reef tank (Plexi) for free because the people are moving and getting divorced. Did I mention that it is green and fuzzy? There is one coral alive I think it is a pink bubble coral. The LR still has lots of pink red and bright yellow stuff on it,as well as green fuzz and green bubble things. The tank is set up with a sump Amiracle? and a sand bed thing filter thing? Oh also there is some kind of large crab hiding in the rocks that ate all of the other coral, at least thats what the guy said. I had the water tested today and all is very good no problems, that is what the fish store told me.
The local fish store told me I should ditch the sand bed, dump the tank, pressure wash everything including the live rock and start over with new sand and a skimmer.
Oh the lights are florescence compacts 10k?

HELP!

Thanks
Piratefish

Hello and welcome! Lots of newbies tonight. Yay!

Can you take some pictures of the stuff in the tank and post them? It's hard to say what is what, lots of things are pink, green, fuzzy, etc. ;) Some may be bad, some may be good.

Is it set up with an undergravel filter? Kind of a slotted plate that goes on the bottom of the tank, beneath the sand, with tubes coming up in the back from it? If so, yes, your fish store is right, totally ditch that. Bad, bad, bad for saltwater.

I would not pressure wash the live rock until you post pics of it and we see what kind of shape it's in. It could be good, nice rock, and pressure washing it will kill off any good stuff living on it.

If you want to keep a reef tank, it is likely that the lights will have to be upgraded. The fish store was also correct in recommending a protein skimmer. That's one of the most important pieces of equipment you can get for your tank.

Keep the sump -- it's excellent it came with that.

Also, you should be topping off water that evaporates each day. Only top off with fresh water, not salt water. When water evaporates it leaves salt behind, so you need to replace it with fresh water.

You should also buy yourself a thermometer, some test kits (pH, ammonia, nitrite, alkalinity and nitrate to start), and a refractometer or hydrometer so you can measure your parameters at home.

Thanks I will get rid of the under sand bed. I need to move the tank too. About 15 miles. I will post Pics tomorrow cause they are on the other computer. What kind of skimmer? So many choices. I know this is an expensive hobby. I have thought about a reef tank for 6 years, and have read several book on the hobby. Are there some good online stores to purchase from (hardware)? I should mention I am going for reef only with 3 or4 small fish, I really want clams. I know it will take time but I love to plan ahead!

Thanks
Piratefish

A good brand of protein skimmer for the money is Octopus. They sell them at Premium Aquatics.

It is expensive, but you can find deals on a lot of things. And you can DIY a lot, which saves money if you are a handy person. Or if you are not a handy person, and you can manipulate the handy person you live with to do it for you. :lol:

Here are some good sites to order equipment from:

Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment
Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products
Premium Aquatics
Aquarium Supplies, Cheap Dog Supplies, Fish Supplies, Best Cat Toys

A good brand of protein skimmer for the money is Octopus. They sell them at Premium Aquatics.

Biff: I contacted Premium Aquatics and asked for their recommendation on the 90 gal that I am setting up. They suggested the Deltec MEC 300. I like everything I read about this model but my research indicates this unit may be too small for a 90. When I asked about Octopus models they recommended the LX1000 (big and red!). I know you also have a 90 gal. What are your thoughts? I need a hang on skimmer.

Piratefish: Welcome! and sorry about hijacking your thread.

Hello and welcome! Lots of newbies tonight. Yay!

Also, you should be topping off water that evaporates each day. Only top off with fresh water, not salt water. When water evaporates it leaves salt behind, so you need to replace it with fresh water.

I think Biff forgot to mention that by "fresh water" we mean RO/DI water and NOT TAP WATER.

Welcome to the site, they all have you covered.

Welcome to the site Piratefish!

Chiqui,the guys at Premium Aquatics know there stuff.They literally walk me through the differences and similarities between two controllers-the Apex and Reefkeeper Elite.Personally,as gaudy as the Octopus,I would go with that.It has a surface skimmer which is a much more efficient place to draw in water.Nutrient rises to the surface not down 4-5 inches.

Chiqui: Deltecs are really good skimmers, but they are more expensive than Octopus skimmers. HOBs are tricky, because there really aren't any GREAT ones. In general, if you get one rated for twice your tank size, you will be set.

Welcome aboard.Were happy you joined us.
And as for being in over your head.You might as well dive a little deeper and get on down here with the rest of us.:D

Scrap the whole thing and make a hampster cage out of it LOL JUST KIDDING. you are in good hands on this site.. These guys should win an award for getting my tank up and looking as good as it does :)

I'm not sure about Picasa.Usually,on other sites like Photobucket,you just copy and paste the

Thanks I think I have figured it out... atleast theres a photo there. Also I have moved this to new to reefing, thats where i posted the pics.

Thanks everyone!

Back