In over my head Update!

Piratefish

SPS Freak
Well I moved my first tank. All went well. I drained everything washed everything scrubed all the LR free of the bubble algae. Got rid of the under gravel filter put in new live sand, new water. Washed the sump put in more bio balls and micron pad (there was only one layer of balls) cleaned and rinsed the pump and added a power head. AND NOW I WAIT.
I will try to add photos but i am not sure how. Not only am I new to reefing I am also new to forums.

List of wants:
New heater
New pump for the sump (save old for backup)
Protein skimmer (1 on list)
Digtial thermometer
clean up crew (any ideas)
New light set up ( I really like clams:D)

Oh I know I am missing something
Thanks
Piratefish-Pirate-

Sounds like you're of to a good re-start. Congrats.

As far as clean up crew goes, I prefer snails over crabs. IMO they're better cleaners. nassarius snails, turbo snails, stay away form astrea snails when the flip upsdie down, they can't right themselves.

Alot of people double up on heaters (myself included) that way if one dies the other will take over and keep the temp inthe tan stable. Without it you've got trouble..inexpensive and gives you piece of mind that you're protected.

Get a complete set of test kits.

Thanks! is there something that really like that bubble algae? Some of the rocks really had a lot of it and im a little worried.

Thanks again

You can get some emerald crabs for the bubble algae. Some will eat it, some won't, but those guys are your best bet. I also prefer snails to hermit crabs. Nassarius, astraea, Mexican turbo, cerith and trochus snails are all good. Get a variety. I also think a starfish (brittle or serpent) is a great addition to a cleaner crew. And some shrimp. Peppermint and cleaner shrimp.

stay away form astrea snails
I like my Astrea Snails! Best cleaners imo (but I never had a mexican turbo) they look better then the others and mine always found their back upright (usually b/c I knock them off something idk if they ever fall on their own.)

Reeffreak
When should I put the snails in and how many 10 or 12? Tank is 55g TruVu the LR is many years old but the tank had been neglected for a year. All new water added 7/2 and 3 bags of live sand. I really like the starfish idea too! Those spiney blue ones ar cool! I will start learning all of the real names soon.
Thanks
Piratefish

Put snails in when you see algae start to grow. If they don't have anything to eat and you add them too early, they could starve. In a 55, I'd put one Mexican turbo, 10 astraea and 10 nassarius. Then add more later on if you need more.

Go with everyone when they say stick with snails! I have crabs and snails and I am buying snails about every month to every other month or so now....the snails get everything soooo much cleaner! I am planning on taking my crabs back to the LFS! Some of them are huge now!

Like Biff said,add snails when you have algae.Astreas,ceriths,trochus(10-15 total) if you have brown/green diatoms.The dusty stuff that coats the glass and rocks.One or two Mexican turbos or emerald crabs or both for hair algae.10-20 of the small nassarius snails for the sandbed.Even two of either queen conchs or fighting conchs if you have algae on the sandbed.Add more if/when it's needed.

Okay I checked my tank today! Water looks clear will get a test kit and snails tomorrow. the sump looked low so I added RODI water and the thing almost over flowed. WTF! I had to siphon off most of the waterI put in. Hope I didn't mess up the salt. The Hydrometer still read good 1.022 maybe a little low? Also I need to talk about the water temp. After I set up the tank I didn't plug in the heater...Duh The water temp is 79-80 with no heater just lights. It seems to be holding steady should I plug in the heater? I guess Ill need a chiller. Crap!
The LR looks good I still have some bubble algae and a small amount of mossy green brown algae. Also there is a small colony of 5 or 6 polyps that are open and waving about. They are about the size of a pencil eraser and brownish. I will try to post photos again.

Don't add any snails or crabs until your 100% sure the tanks not going to cycle.Wait at least a couple of weeks on those.But go ahead and pick tests kits for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and PH.
A temp of 79 to 80 is perfect.Especially if stays stable right there.Though I would set the heater for about 78 and stick it in there.If the temp trys to climb about 83,then just get a cheap clip on fan from wal-mart and set it to blow between the water surface and the lights.That will speed up evaporation and help cool the tank off.

DSC03664.JPG

Yote Thanks !

As you can see this is why I got this for free. Even with the existing LR and live sand i should wait a couple of weeks to add the snails? The fish store guy said I should start buying stuff now...LOL

I'd watch for ammonia to spike for at least one week before buying any.
Something you gotta be careful of is LFS that are just trying to make sales.They'll take your money if you let em.Dont be roped into buying anything that your not 100% sure of.

+1 Yote

Piratefish, we are near neighbors, I live in Walnut Creek. Be patient with the system now. You may or may not go through a mini cycle. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, another thing to think about is....................you may want to ditch the bio balls. They will hold and become Nitrate magnets in your system.

Back