In tank refugium?

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
hey guys!

Soooo my sister has decided that she wants to get a mandrin. Shes had her lil nano up for almost a year and has a good amount of copes... all she has in there currently is one small damsel and her CUC. I was wondering about getting a in tank ref for both of our tanks, so something that would fit inside a standard 20g.... anyone have any ideas on where to get one that size? or would it be better to make my own? I've been searching online but I can't find anything smaller or cheaper than what i'm looking for.

I wouldn't get a in-tank refugium. They are good for the tank but look bad and are just annoying. I got rid of mine becuase the suction cups were always falling off. If you were to get a refugium, a hang on one is a lot better.

oh yea? bad thing is I don't have a spot for a hang-on one... I don't mind it being in the tank as I am willing to re-arrange my tank to hide it >:D

I've tried 2 mandrin's sense getting in the hobby just to be dissapointed by there death's.mandrin's require lots of LR and a STEADY supply of pod's. my suggestion is to buy 1 that you physically watch eat frozen,I now have a dragon gobie that eats frozen as well as hunting for pods and he's doing just fine (6 mnts later).

yea, actually i've had 2 mandrins in the past and they've done great!! :D (i've worked in at the monterey bay aquarium for 8 years now with stuff like them :3) i am pretty selective with my mandrins... first one died from who knows what, but the lil dude was fat and happy, second one died because my cousin dumped air freshner into the tank D: poor lil guy.

both of mine were feeding frozen and copes. I just want the copes to study honestly lol. plus I do want another mandrin :) they are bomb.

its just not LR that they need... tanks typically need to be established for OVER a year and have a sump to provide all that macro algae to have a steady supply of pods... even with that steady supply they can sometimes wipe out the entire population in a few weeks, they eat every 5-12 seconds so wiping things out is not hard for them to do at all...

Here's a cheap fuge on my 20G Long although its starting to look like a science experiment. I put a hat over the bright light.

DSC00929_1024x768.jpg

I've tried 2 mandrin's sense getting in the hobby just to be dissapointed by there death's.mandrin's require lots of LR and a STEADY supply of pod's. my suggestion is to buy 1 that you physically watch eat frozen,I now have a dragon gobie that eats frozen as well as hunting for pods and he's doing just fine (6 mnts later).

ORA announces captive bred mandarins | reef tools

No more Mandarins need to die, I am not sure if they are out and available but you should look into them!

Back