In the planning stages of a new set up

Jimbo662

Reefing newb
So...I've decided to convert my 125g planted tank. I think the first two things I'm going to work on are lighting and sump. My questions are:
1. Which is best? Hooded or non hooded tank? I've got to figure out how to mount the lights. I'm planning on getting two 20" heat sinks with two set of these retrofit kits (http://www.rapidled.com/24-led-plug-n-play-retrofit-kit/). Think these will work on a 125?.

2. The stand doesn't have much room to put a large sump (two small doors on the front and two slightly larger openings in the back. The wall that the tank is on is the spare bedroom that's pretty much just used for storage...not the guest room I'd originally planned. Should I go for a larger sump and set it up in the spare room and run everything through the wall?

Also, is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered with the tank full? Every test I've seen only works with it empty.

Are you talking about a canopy or a glass or acrylic cover for the tank? If you are talking about a glass cover for the tank it's not really a good idea for a couple of reasons
1st it is bad for gas exchange and second salt spray will start to crust on the cover and reduce effective lighting.
The DIY lighting looks cool my only concern is how to house it all with out exposing any of the circuitry. The salt water from your tank will be very corrosive to any exposed metal or wires.
As far as the sump bigger is always better if you can do it. If you can run it through the wall without destroying the bedroom and the threat of divorce is not hovering over you, go for it. You will have the benefit of hiding all of your equipment out of sight.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on the tempered glass.

I'm not certain that 2 of those kits will be enough for your tank. I would call Rapid and ask what the spread is on them with each different lense. If you plan on going tbrough the wall to the spare (now fish room) check with Biff and some othets about how they did it.

John, I was referring to a canopy. The heat sinks are available with a plexiglass splash guard. My retired next door neighbor is very good at wood work so I was going to hire him to make either the canopy or if I decide to hang the lighting some kind of mounting that would hide all the wiring and still look good.

I'm single so I've already discussed with myself and I'm OK with going through the wall. :D

When you order the LEDs you get to select between 40, 60 and 80 degree lens'

Back