In Wall Tank

Greenman

Reefing newb
Good morning peeps, Got some questions for and adventure i may be going on.
My Fiancee wants me to put my 29gallon tank inside the wall so all that is seen is the front of the tank. What steps do I need to take to do this? The wall its going in is just drywall so I need to figure out how exactly to brace this. There is already a closet directly on the opposite side so that will not be a problem. What should I coat the whole in so not to get peices of drywall in the tank. Many questions ill take as much information that I can get!

Not to sound rude, but if youre asking those kinds of questions, you should probably hire someone. Properly mudded and painted drywall wont get in your tank, but after you cut the hole and get the mess cleaned up yoju would need to build a stand off the studs (cut the studs 1 1/2" lower than you want the tank and use 2x6's to make a shelf and 4x4's to build legs). Then re-rock, mud, sand and paint. Water proof the wood and set up.

Tip: I would recommend upgrading tanks now because you would have to start from scratch if you got it done and wanted to upgrade later. I doubt a 29 would look very big in a wall, unless thats the look you want. Also, if you put a 55 in now, say, a 75 or 90 would be an easy upgrade down the line, and same goes for 6 and 8 foot tanks. Only issue would be height which would still be easy compared to enlarging the hole on all 4 sides if you stuck with the 29 for now.

Im not discouraging you by any means, just wanted to give you something to think about.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 29 is all im going for because im going to put a "picture frame" around it make it look like a picture in the wall, Im actually going to set the tank about 5 ft. off the floor.

Back