Increasing waste pickup on bottom of tank

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Hey all. Only been in the hobby for around 3-4 months. Have a 12 gallon nanocube dx. My concern is the only intake for the filter is near the top of the tank. My question is does anyone know of any ways to increase cleanup near the lower tank, in a small aquarium. Right now after feeding i siphon out all the excess food i can. For my clowns its np they eat from the top, but my goby doesnt always get all of the food on the bottom. Should i just keep siphoning out the waste or is there a quick fix? any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks. I'm worried about water quality as my nitrates are slowly rising. Not to extreme levels just yet, but id like to nip it before it gets out of hand if possible.

+1...increase the flow towards the bottom to keep the waste suspended, so that the filter can remove it from the water column.

Thats what im assuming i actually have a flow head to increase flow. Everyone seems to not mind it excpet my clowns who are normally out and about, are hiding behind a rock. Small price to pay i suppose for clean water. Thanks guys, I've got alot to learn,

The clown will get used to it eventually...they're weird anyway, and changing the flow probably had nothing to do with it. :)

Thanks Smitty. I dig your tank btw looks amazing. Someday hope t have something like that. Want to see if i can make this tank flourish first.

Your clean up crew should help get any excess food that lands on the sand. Blue leg hermits, nassarus snails, and a serpent star will all help with that.

Ya i have an emerald crab, 2 peppermint shrimp a cleaner shrimp, 3 hermit crabs and a mexican snail (is what my LFS called it) covered in coralline algae. Im hoping it will spread. They do occasionally get all the leftovers but some seem more content with algae.

That sounds like a decent cuc...I'd suggest adding 1-2 nass snails also. They will make a nice addition by eating leftover foods and keeping the sand stirred and aerated.

Got 5 Nass snails last weekend smitty, your right they are great. Pretty cool too. Also picked up two scarlett hermitts. Really great shade of red.

Back