Indications of parasites or Disease

I've heard of fish doing this if they have parasites, but I don't know what kind. Really it's the only way they can itch themselves.
Hopefully someone who knows more about it will chime in...

Yes, that is a sign of a parasite infection. Can you give him a really good look and see if you see any spots or other things that look wrong?

Try and take a picture of him as well, a picture is very helpful for identifying what might be going on.

Also, i know you are missing a clownfish. What is your ammonia and nitrites reading at?

And cleaner shrimp arent going to solve your issues.

+1 Biff....is your tank really just 40g? A hippo would definitely be too stressed in that small tank. They need swimming room or they get stressed and fall prey to ich or parasites easier.

Not only that, you have a hippo in a 45 that has only been up for 1 month correct? Best option would be to wait till you can positively id the parasite as ich, then make a decision on whether you want to try and keep the fish or return him to a LFS, he will probably stay stressed and continue to repeat the cycle.

Your tank already has ich, if it's ich. If it's a parasite, hopefully the parasite hasn't ejected itself into the water.

At this point, if the fish does have something, the only way to get rid of the disease in the tank is to get the tang out of there, treat it in another large container for ich OR the parasite, and leave your main tank fallow (fishless) for at least 8 weeks. Otherwise, any fish you introduce to the tank will catch the disease and suffer the same fate during times of stress. If you choose to do nothing, then just try to keep the tang eating, and keep your water parameters as pristine as possible. It won't kill the disease, but it will hopefully help him fight it.

Yes, please read the link I gave you. There are two different treatments you can do -- hyposalinity or copper. Both will require all fish to be removed and treated in a quarantine tank. The other path you can take is to just leave the fish be, and hope it recovers on its own.

Back