Industrial Fish Tank Automation

As long as you can calibrate it, it doesn't matter if it's a DIY or name brand, the same probe should give you the same reading. The key part is just on the calibration. You still have to buy the probe itself.

Here's the cabinet I got to store all the electrical components ... I was going to also store fw in there for the ATO but i realized now that all the ballasts and what not can be moved to the cabinet i have room under by stand now :D
Also have 2 drawers on the cabinet which is nice.. so i can store all my fish junk in there

IMG00162-20110831-2111.jpg
IMG00163-20110831-2111.jpg

Got a bit of work done on the back pan for my electrical panel today. Notice my work bench is an empty cable reel... nothing but professionalism from me :)

(edit: actually TWO cable reels stacked on top of each other. The swaying makes it extra safe :D )

1.jpg
2.jpg

without the duct cover
3.jpg

with the duct cover
4.jpg

Dakwan, are you referring to PLC's? I worked for a company some years back where we made a powder ferrite product from a blend of acid and another product I cant remember, which were sprayed into a 40 foot tall, 20 foot wide venturi furnace. As you can imagine we had air controlled valves everywhere controlling flow of acid and other liquids. There were also monitors from heat to ph and all of these processes were controlled by an operator in the control room.

When we upgraded our computer system we got new plc's in our cabinets and I remember the nightmare of getting all that wiring hooked up right. So what software are you going to run all this with?

This is quite an undertaking and I can certainly appreciate why you want to do it. I understand what you are wanting and why and I wish I had the technical ability to do this because I like computers and data collection, and control processes. Having that kind of control of a process is just plain fun to me and I eventually want to get into the position to have all my data tracked and controlled from my computer. Will I go as far as you, who knows. I dont know if I can afford it for one thing and I would have a serious learning curve to say the least to get it all hooked up correctly but maybe something like Apex would be more doable for me but I like your vision and please keep us updated, also with pics because we all love pics. Good luck!!!

Arkansas, a plc is exactly what i'm talking about!

A PLC doesn't run software per se, what you are thinking of software to run on is probably the programming and configuration software. i've decided to go with the controllogix platform but not the current generation, an L1 which is first generation (a brand new equivalent processor is like 12 thousand :P ).

For the plc I have the processor and i just bought the ethernet module, so I have to get the chassis it will all sit in and then i'm done that. I'm going to do all my I/O via a distributed I/O platform called Flex I/O because it's a much much cheaper alternative than using straight I/O modules. Typically you would use Flex in a situation where you have I/O you want to control/read in the field remotely (say a remote pump station) and you don't want to run 100's of conductors. You would just stick in a bunch of flex modules in a marshalling rack and bring all the information back over ethernet/ip or some other protocol. My Flex modules are going to be only like 10 inches away from my processor but it will work out better for me in the price and space department.

Updates will be sporadic from me as I'm working in the oil sands for shell for the next couple of months so i'll only be home 4 days out of every 2 weeks.. but i'll be making slow progress :)

1255888.jpg
Allen-Bradley-1756-ENET-B-1756ENET-Ethernet-Interface.jpg

Also, do any of you Apex people know how their controlled receptacles work?
Can you set a default state? If you have powerheads running through your apex receptacles and you unplug the controller what happens?

I've thought about it and realized i'll probably need to run all my outputs through normally closed relays, as if the controller fails or i burn out an output or something i wouldn't want (most) the equipment to stay off.

In Apex, you program the default state for each outlet. So when the controller is unplug, the receptacles will use the default state that you put in.

I have my powerheads and moonlights default to on, and HQI light and skimmer default to off.

Last edited:
Hm! Interesting.. I wouldn't think it's mechanical? the receptacle bar must have it's own little mini-controller inside? neat! They really did think of everything :D

Yea, it's a pretty mature product. Considering before the Apex, they already had 3 generations of similar product from years ago.

Remember the name Aqua Controller or Aqua Controller III? :)

Last edited:
Back