Infestation

Ulta

REEFER
Ok so I was just cleaning my 24g Aquapod tonight (That has only been set up a week or so...) and I noticed 2 things: one tons of copepods (woot! :Cheers:) and second are these little flat worm/slug looking guys they are tiny (about 4-5x a copepod) and they are greenish with a red/orange dot in the center slightly toward their front? They are everywhere! I have no critters in my 24g yet cept a few hermits and snails... and I haven't noticed them in my 50g (Which is where all my rocks came from...)

Are they good/bad? And are they only overpopulating because I have no fish to eat them?
Like I said, my tank has only been set up for a little over a week and these guys are prolly about 2 per square inch in my tank :shock:?

They sound like flatworms. You should dose with Flatworm Exit before you have a ton of stuff in your tank. The Flatworm Exit is reef safe, but the flatworms themselves are not, and are toxic.

Thanks Biff, wow there are a lot of variations of flatworms...

I wonder why I never noticed them in my 50g? Think its possible my fish can keep their populations at bay?

Will this process hurt the green birdsnest SPS that I just impulsively glued to a rock in my aquapod when it fell of its frag plug in my other tank? XD

EDIT: I think I will clean out my carbon canister filter and hook that up and run it when I notice the flatworms start to die.

A fish can keep their populations low. Wrasses and mandarins may eat them. But a fish can't completely eradicate them.

Flatworm Exit won't hurt the corals, but you need to remove the flatworm bodies as soon as they die, because they do release toxins to the water. You also need to a do a water change afterwards, and run carbon.

Exactly what I've been thinking. That and oh shit, when will I get them. :grumble:

YOu need a tank set up to get them dcan:mrgreen:

To me it sounds like one of the coral suppliers has an outbreak of flatworms. Only reason that I can think that areas across country is effected.

wow, lotsa flatworm outbreaks recently. Im glad the only LR ill use in my 75 in a couple weeks will be from my current tank! trying to keep the pests down. sorry for hijacking lol.

But I hope you are successful of eradicating them!

Back