infestation???

owen386

Reefing newb
Hey all,

New to the reef game started at the begining of summer tank is 55gal about 75lbs live rock 2 ocerlis clowns and CUC including snails,hermits,crabs 20 gal sump/refugium. My question to yall is I just recently built and installed my sump roughly a week ago, now since then my pod population had BLOWN up and I mean Blown up! I use to be able to see about 10+ on a inch of rock now i can see 50+ on an inch of rock I can see littelay 1000`s all over the rock the sand and even the glass i would say there is a good 500+ on back glass easily visible. What the hell is going on and is this a good thing bad thing ?? Thanks!

-Owen

Alright that's what I thought, thanks for confirmation. So pods will due no harm only good, good to know. I'm still curious why the huge increase in population. My hypothesis: in building the sump I did not let my silicone cure long enough before use which in return unleashed a fury of ammonia into my system killing al my coral, now if coral is a food source for these guys they could of then had a open field day thanksgiving dinner on my coral. Wel all know most populations are controlled by resources now if there was an abundant #1 resouce of them all food this would explain the huge influx of pod population. Now mind you this is only a hypothesis I know very little about pod colony's. But just my 2cents and gues....

-Owen

Its more likely that 1. you are just noticing how many you have 2. with a sump they now have a safe place to live and breed, so the fish arent eating them as fast so you see more of them

Hey all,

New to the reef game started at the begining of summer tank is 55gal about 75lbs live rock 2 ocerlis clowns and CUC including snails,hermits,crabs 20 gal sump/refugium. My question to yall is I just recently built and installed my sump roughly a week ago, now since then my pod population had BLOWN up and I mean Blown up! I use to be able to see about 10+ on a inch of rock now i can see 50+ on an inch of rock I can see littelay 1000`s all over the rock the sand and even the glass i would say there is a good 500+ on back glass easily visible. What the hell is going on and is this a good thing bad thing ?? Thanks!

-Owen

500+?!! That's a lot! I thought I had a lot! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDVEYFrGteo]Harpacticoid Copepods on Rearing Tank Wall - YouTube[/ame]

Back