injured Hammer,HELP ASAP

devicore16

Reefing newb
ok so i got this hammer coral from the lfs, it was blooming very nice.. the prob was, when the guy took out the coral from the tank he accidentally bumped it to the edge and damaged a little part of the skeleton breaking a small piece off.. its been two days now and that part(about 1 head) is still crumpled and the white slime like thing already appeared.. but the other part of the hammer was ok and blooming nice.. now my concern is the whole coral, cuz i experienced hurting a part of an lps and turned out killing the whole coral(the white thingie had spread). now i'm affraid that my good looking coral will experience the same!!!! i need urgent help please!!!

I actually had the exact same thing happen to my frogspawn and it has fully recovered. it regenerated the tentacles around the broken skeleton and looks as good as ever. I don't know if there is anything you can do to help it recover, I just thought I post here to give you some hope of it's recovery.
With mine, the broken skeleton did pull some of the coral with it and that peice died, but within 2 weeks it was all repaired and healed.
I would advise that you keep an eye on it for the brown slime that indicates its death and get rid of it as soon as possible if it does die so it doesn't contaminate the tank.
Best of luck

There isn't much you can do except wait and see if it heals. If you want to be extra safe, break the damaged head off at the base and put it somewhere else in your tank. If it recovers, you'll have 2 hammers instead of 1.

my hammer gave up.. gosh, so sad for me.. everything closed and never opened again,looks like rotting.. what do i do next time it happens?

There isn't much you can do if a coral is physically injured. You can wait and see if it heals and you can keep the conditions optimal for it. But other than that...

Back