injured regal tang

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
Today i was checking on my tank and noticed my Regal tang is stuck to the suction area of one of my powerheads. I was actually shocked to see this since there is hardly any suction and smaller fish pass by it with no problem. Somehow, the tang got himself stuck there. I dont know how long he was stuck but by the time i was able to free him, he looked pretty messed up. One of his fins is ripped and his body has a few bad scars now.

The fish is still alive but is not swimming. Immediately he went to hide and did not come out. But his color and breathing are normal. Actually his color was pale at first but after a few mins it got bright again. I also noticed that both of my fire shrips went over to him and started to do their thing. Are they helping him or something? It seemed like they were nursing him...I caught him and put him i the fuge for now so other fish dont bother him.

Will he recover from this? He is not swimming, he is just lying there. Just like any human would if they get injured. But the difference is that an injured human will eat and sleep for fast recovery.

Is there anyway i can help the fish heal? All i care about is him eating. He is not sick, just really injured.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
I bet you anything he was sick to begin with if he got stuck to the powerhead. A healthy fish just doesn't get stuck to one, especially a fish that's a tang's size. There isn't much you can do, it's good that you moved him into the fuge. If you haven't already, soak his food in garlic extract. I hope for the best.

Good point. I wonder if its related to my coral beauty recently getting sick as well.

But the tang wasn't showing any signs. Cheerful fella.

At this point i dont have any clues as to what made the tang sick. Should i put him in a quarantine tank w/ copper?

if he has open wounds, treat them with melafix. If is a tough call as QT can stress them out as well, but if you are going to do it, do it soon. They heal pretty quick if conditions are good. I agree with Biff that for him to get stuck, he was already sick with something else. How long have you had him and how big is he?

Mine is a spaz most of the time and runs into things. She gets bruised and scratched at least once a month and it seems to go away within two days or so. Hope yours is not beat up too badly.

-Doc

I put him in a QT right now. I blocked the area where the pump is with plexi glass so that he doesnt get suck again.

He is bruised pretty badly. Honestly, i dont think he is going to make it because he is injured so bad bad. After i caught him, i looked at him under the light and he has two deep wounds and his fin is messed up. He doesnt swim either. Just lies there. But last night in the late hours he was still normal. He was probably stuck for a good amount of time.

His size is really small. About 2 inches and some change i think. My largest clown is about the same length. and ive had him for 2 months.

My guess is that he is juts going to starve to death. Im sure he would eat but just cant.

Last edited:
at this point, there is little to do. At his size, his is not very strong and cannot withstand a severe beating like that. Mine is about 5 inches and has a bit more to her to survive bumps and brusies.

If you want to invest in some melafix, do so put you will want to treat him in another tank if you have one. You can treat in your DT, but it will require a stiff water changes afterward. If he lives through the treatment, he will be OK in a week. If you think he is a gonner, do the humane thing and take him out of the sump and euthanize him. I hate to see an animal suffer and often take care of it myself rather than have them hurt.

On a side note, I have actually pulled off the side of the road to put hit deer and other critters out of their misery on my way to work, as well as female drivers when they are lost and driving erratically, but that is a different story...:bounce::bounce:

-Doc

Thanks Doc.

About the erratic female drives...i have countless stories of me riding my mountain bike to work and surviving an accident by a millisecond. Each of my "near death" experiences on the bike was caused by mothers with a baby in the back seat.

Im warning all people who enjoy riding their bikes, stay away from mothers behind a vehicle. Two things i fear most in my life are nuclear wars and mothers in a vehicles w/ a baby in the backseat.

Last edited:
Docs a pretty a pretty good fish doc.

As for mothers driving.Theres just no way to stay safe around them.

Back