Injury?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Just noticed my tang has 2 grey colored lines on one side just beyond her head. They look like she scraped herself (and I didn't see them this morning, and was looking closely at that side since she also has a pectoral fin tear that I noticed 2 days ago). Would a disease appear that quickly, or is this most likely an injury of some sort? She's very active swimming behind the rocks (I must have great flow back there for her to surf in), and is eating fine. If its an injury, anything I can do to help it heal? I'm currently feeding 1/3 of nori (though most gets torn off and strewn about the tank) daily to every other day, and a cube of either marine cuisine, emerald entree, or formula 1 depending on the day. No addition of vitamins or garlic at this point. I tried to get a pic but she's just too fast for my camera phone!

Not the new tang??!

Yup. Not thrilled at all, but hoping its just a minor injury. She has taken to swimming circles behind and underneath a rock in the far back corner of the tank - after several laps, then she comes out and laps around the rest of the tank, through the arch, etc. Its a tight squeeze back behind those rocks, so she may have scraped herself. That's my hope at least. I'm gonna be pretty upset if she's sick :(

As for the chunk that's out of her pectoral fin, my best guess is that she and the red velvet fairy wrasse got into it some time over the weekend - he's got a small chunk missing out of very back of his anal fin. I haven't seen any aggression between them - really only the basslet has shown aggression, but more posturing at her than any actual going after her. I think the tang is the dominant one in the tank, followed by the wrasse if I had to guess a pecking order. My female clown can be pretty aggressive too, but I've only seen her act that way towards her mate and the chromis, not the larger fish.

Anyhow, she's eating and behaving normally so I'm hoping all will be okay. My biggest fear is that I'm going on vacation for two weeks at the end of this week and won't be here to put eyes on her every day. Gonna have my coworkers feed while I'm away, and I will come in to do water changes on the weekends, but that's really different than spending a full work week with my tank and noticing every little change that happens and noticing when something isn't right.

Well, the two abrasions on her side seem to be improving, so I do think they were scrapes from the rock. But one of them extends to the side of her eye and that part doesn't look to be fading yet. Also noticing a few dark flecks on one of her fins (doesn't appear to be parasitic, just discoloration). I'm admittedly worried about her, but she's fat and happy and eating all the time so hopefully whatever is going on with her will subside. There is still jockying for position going on - the wrasse kept pushing her away from the nori sheet this morning, and the basslet keeps opening his mouth as wide as possible posturing at her. They need to get this settled and decide who's in charge!

Well, I just noticed that she now has a small fray on her other pectoral fin, and the chunk out of the left pectoral fin has grown in size. I really hope she isn't sick. She wasn't all that interested in the nori I hung this morning, but has been picking algae off the rocks and glass all day. She tried to go for the algae sheet but the wrasse pushed her away. I think I'll bring in some nori with garlic in it tomorrow and see if she goes for that - maybe this one just doesn't taste very good. She seems happy but the fact she has the marks on her, the frayed fins, and keeps going to the cleaner shrimp (even though they ignore her) has me quite concerned, especially since I'm headed out for a two week vacation. :(

Back