Inner Battle

Doc

I don't work for anybody
As you may have found out, my Moorish Idol died. Losing that fish opened me up to my age old debate. Do I keep running my reef tank or do I change it up and drop in a foot long shark. My LFS buddy keeps tempting me with a 12 incher he can order in for about $100. I know I am upgrading the end of next year to a much larger tank, like one that will make you pee yourself when you see it. I am not worried about it outgrowing the 125, but I am concerned about whether it will survive with the angelfish until then. I want your feedback about my struggle. Do I go shark now? or Do I shoot for an eel, a radiata lionfish and a final mystery fish?

-Doc

I agree that the 6 inch shark got used. I don't think a 12 inch one would. That is a pretty big fish. Dragon eels are nifty to the tune of about $1200 around here and not worth it IMO.

-Doc

Sorry to hear about the idol. I don't know much about sharks, but I do know if you get one I want to see lots of pics.LOL You know before the angels kill it.J/K good luck if you do get it.

Sorry about the Idol Doc.(moment of silence)

You take to many risk,wait til you get the bigger tank.Sometimes it seems,you want your cake and eat it too.It just doesn't always works out that way.What I said was out of friendship,I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Dominick,

of course I am not upset about your feedback, that is what I asked for. I recognize that I tend to live dangerously and have had success with it in the past. At times I fall on my face. I have though abut waiting, but then, I also get the chills just thinking about hand feeding a shark again. I loved it. I am not decided, but I am totally engrossed in the feedback and will take yours heavily into consideration.

-Doc

I will be honest about one thing, patience is a factor. Sharks do grow quickly, but not as fast as I would want. It can be a trick trying to find a healthy, eating specimen that has the size you want. Sharks to not ship well as adults, and if I were to wait til I got a bigger tank, I don't know if I could get an adult shark that would survive the trip.

If I could get a juvi and get him more tame (as if that is really possible) but stable, eating and healthy. It might be worth it and grow him in the 125 til he gets to be about 2 feet and dump him into my bigger tank. I am totally driven my arrogance with this issues and selfishness, I am willing to admit it

-Doc

Ok, I will be honest... I got rid of my eels almost 2 months ago... I am sooo much happier without them... I loved my eels and thought they were the coolest things, however, I was always a bit hesitant when reaching my hand into my tank... I didn't really think much of it at first, but as they grow, they tend to grow more unpredictable... I don't know if this statement would be true, but I would feel a lot more confident reaching my hand into a shark tank, than I would with a 3 foot eel in the tank... I just don't trust eels anymore and might not ever own one again... However, these are just my thoughts... Personally, I would go with the shark...

Doc, im sorry to hear about the loss of the idol :( I would really like to see you get your shark if you could get it to rock out with your angels i think it would be great. personally im waitin for my 5000 gallon tank to get my nurse shark and reef shark :) I have actually thought back and fourth about a bbb in my 180, seems like we share a lot of similarities when it comes to our tanks. If you could grab a foot long i imagine it would be fine

If you end up getting the shark you should post lots of pics, I bet its cool having people over and telling them that you have a pet shark.

hmmm: shark - 142....no shark - 1 (sorry Dominick). Here is the determining factor. I am going into negotiations with work tomorrow for my potential new position and HOPEFULLY massive raise. If I get it as I have planned out, no question - shark on its way.

No raise. No shark. If I commit to a beautiful creature such as a Brown Banded Bamboo, I would want to make sure that I can care for him through his whole life, including when he is over 3 feet long!!! I know for sure I can have my 600 gallon tank up and running by the end of next year with my new raise, so...I guess I will have to wait and see

-Doc

Back