Instant Ocean Brine Shrimp gel food?

OceanCrazy

Reefing newb
Any of you guys ever used this? I keep seeing it everywhere.
One more thing, you guys get a not so pleasant odor from your tank water? Like i smell it every 20 to 30 min or so. I was once told to use active carbon on my HO filter but now i have a sump and anyway of using that in there or no need? Ideas?

Last edited:
I personally dislike any gelfood. It just stays all clumped up and brine shrimp in general is just a treat food yeah? Unless you got some big fish going at it, then it might be good every once in awhile. Stick to mysis! : ]

You're right about the carbon. It'll absorb any odors coming from your tank! Grab a bag of chemipure or what ever your preference is and check to see if it makes a difference.

Very few people like gel foods. I have tried it and my fish wouldn't touch it. It just stayed in a clump and fell to the bottom and disappeared. If you do feed the gel cubes, you are supposed to use a special feeder that looks like this to keep it in place:

211468.jpg

For the smell, you can use an HOB filter on your skimmer with carbon. Most people run carbon for a few days each month to clarify the water -- they don't run it 24/7. You don't even need the HOB filter though. You can put the carbon in a filter bag and place it anywhere that water is forced through it.

Back