Instant Ocean Snake Oil ?

Now that I think of it and check other sources, the statement about the chloramine being removed by the DI resin does not agree with any of the other info I have seen. Other sources indicate that (while I have long known that deionization beaks down buffers and softens the water), chlorine and chloramine are removed by these newer types of carbon block filters:

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

The Filter Guys, another supplier of RO/DI & filtration. equipment also seem to be in agreement with this as well. I am currently inclined to agree with them and the aforementioned article because, at any rate, my professional grade Salifert ammonia test indicates zero ammonia in the output of my unit (which at present has no DI stage). Once I further verify the effectiveness of this newer type cartridge I am now using with chlorine & chloramine tests, I will post my findings and henceforth use cartridges obtained from The Filter Guys supply house.

Since the buffering effect of my locale's relatively hard water is of no consequence - as it would be were I trying to operate a freshwater aquarium at a neutral PH - I am not at all certain whether addition of a DI stage would be of any benefit to me. Having obtained a report from my city's water department, I see nothing problematic in our water to be removed other than chloramine and maybe a little manganese.

Last edited:
I was aware that the chlorine would be detrimental to the membrane, but thought that I saw something about chloramine being worse; but then that is the purpose of the prefilter - to remove the chlorine and/or chloramine before it can damage the membrane.

The test results today indicated zero chlorine and zero chloramine in the output of my three-stage RO unit, so the improved type carbon block element is definitely removing all of it. I will shortly be placing my order for more of these cartridges. Now that I have the necessary test kit, I will know exactly when the carbon cartridge must be replaced. This little Coralife RO unit does not seem to be upgradeable to RO/DI, as it is equipped with special back flush fittings on its output & waste water ports. When my current membrane needs replacing in a couple of years, I will want to upgrade to a full RO/DI, the cost of such a system from The Filter Guys being not that much greater than a new Coralife membrane.

Back