Interested in hard coral...

When I said 'zero 'trates', I meant as far as the average test can measure. The zoozanthellae algae in many hard corals only needs 'trates measured in ppb to live.

Nitrates may not be that big of a problem for many corals but I've heard some serious experts say that even very small amounts of phosphates will kill hard corals fast.

the only thing that i have seen high phosphates do is kill sps or if they dont die than they brown out. but that is what i have experienced

yes they are bad if the levels are high but if you can keep phos under 1ppm and nitrates under 20 or 30 than you are good for most all coral. there are some very sensitive acros that need it lower. alot of people that have sps keep fish in there to produce waste for the corals to eat. good luck at keeping all the levels at 0 a lot of people no matter what they do cannot get them to 0 and when they do it can lead to low nutrient problems with corals.

I haven't had a lot of trouble keeping mine low, but then I've done one very simple thing to keep 'trates down: stock low

From Dr Mac's website:

We keep our water quality as near to natural saltwater as possible on a consistent basis including the control of nutrient levels. For example, with new electronic testing equipment we can insure extremely low verifiable levels of phosphate and nitrate in our culture water.

He seems to think that 'trates are a problem. (Not trying to beat this issue to death but its just I've heard volumes about keeping 'trates low and now people are saying its no big deal.)

Sens right about nitrates and a lot of SPS corals.Generally,the brighter the colors,the cleaner the water needs to be to support em.The same for phosphates.
Even though you can get away with very small amounts of nitrates,phosphates inhibit the calcification process that things like acros and pocillopora need to grow and live.
I think that what everybody is saying,is that its gonna take time to get a system stable enough to have 0 nitrates.Which will happen,if its planned for for and worked toward.Just dont expect it to happen over night.

Back