Interesting Symptoms

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Clown Goby seems to be losing his tail fin. Any idea? He is currently in hypo with the other fish, I do not think he is being picked on. I do not see any white growths, fuzzy patches etc, but would like to know if maybe I am missing something.

Also, my Tang came from an "Ich Free" setup, but recently he has started flashing/scratching I think. It is not a constant flashing but I can watch him in what appears to be him rubbing the rocks. He eats well swims a lot picks at the rocks and really acts normal aside from when I come to the tank and he gets skittish with me. When I drop food in he gets aggressive though and goes right for it. Ideas?

Last edited:
In your hypo tank, do you have the heater in there too, or is the heater outside the tank? Most gobies like to hide under things. If the heater is in the tank, its possible he snuggled up under it and burned his tail some.

Inside the tank, I have touched the heater while in the water and didn't get burned but I am a bit bigger than you Gobies, I hope. My heater sits on the bottom of the QT and I have a cheap HOB filter with a filter pad just to get the big junk out of the water.I have had Blennies in this way and never had a problem. If there is some tail left it should grow back. I hate it when these guys get sick like this, very stressful on us as well

Fin rot is my a logical diagnosis.

Since fin rot is bacteria,QTing using antibiotics would be the treatment.Maracyn and Maracyn 2 is what I hear people use the most.Both because you will not know if it's a gram negative or gram positive bacterial infection.

As far as the tang goes.Fishes scatching on the rocks can occur from more than just Ich.How about stress from being in a 30g.,of course you know this already.

Back