Internal vs External Overflow

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
If you were going to build a new tank, which would you do and why? Advatages/disadvantages of each? Obviously the internal take up space inside the tank and the external takes up space outside the tank. But other than that....

I would have an internal one myself, but would make sure my tank was big enough so that the internal overflow space doesn't really matter. Reason is because I just don't like things sticking out or hanging on my tanks.

external ones make the inside of the tank look cleaner but i like the internal ones because i like to have the tank against the wall

I have a 125g that's waiting to be filled, has a built in dual overflow inside. Unless a turbo gets trapped in the intake, I don't foresee any problems with it :) I would have to say, then, that I prefer the internal overflow.

My 45 has an external overflow, where the utube has to be restarted every now and then because my return pump sucks. I don't care much for it.

My 45 has an external overflow, where the utube has to be restarted every now and then because my return pump sucks. I don't care much for it.

Sorry, I should have specified. Not the ones with the u-tubes, but the ones that work just like the internal overflows. I was imagining something like this...

attachment.php

i would do a external overflow if the tank was a in wall one were you could hide the overflow just because it would make the tank look clean and sexy. but i think it would not look to good just hanging out there in plain site that what i ment to say in my last post

it is also called a calflo i think it is an overflow that goes from one side of the tank to the other but is only about 3inx2in they are very sleek looking and it still gives you all the room in the tank execpt at the top

I'm liking that glass-holes overflow the more i look at it.
But what's their main advantage over the coast to coast? Thickness? Baffles?

i think it is just that they can handle a ton of water. you would almost never have to worry about it getting pluged up to bad. but the coast to coast one is going to skim the whole surface as compaired to a small area

i would do a external overflow if the tank was a in wall one were you could hide the overflow just because it would make the tank look clean and sexy. but i think it would not look to good just hanging out there in plain site that what i ment to say in my last post

James I just wanted to point out that you my have been reefing too long when you start thinking a tank is sexy. JMO :mrgreen: :bounce:

i cant help it. and i just think a nice clean tank like a rimless or a in wall tank with nothing on the inside like a overflow or crap on the back is sexy just like a nice lady with all the cuves in all the right places are sexy

Back