intro

nickerber

Reefing newb
hello all-
my name is nick and i live in traverse city, mi. i am new to saltwater aquariums and found this forum and it seems like it has TONS of good info. i have had freshwater setups on and off since i was a kid and now it's time to change. ;)

i have done a TON of research over the past couple of months and i've read a lot of advice. my goal for this tank is either to get a 46 bowfront (to match the cichlid tank i currently have and set them side by side) or get a reef ready drilled tank. if i get the drilled tank it would be around 50-60 gallons mostly because i live in an apt and eventually will have to move it, so i'm going small. the other factor is cost... being that this is my first saltwater tank i don't want to have a big $$$ accident... :) i recently found a company here in michigan that sells pre-drilled tanks that seem to get good reviews. the company is called great lakes aquariums. i've also seen the marineland and aqueon predrilled models, but i can't seem to find out where to buy them.... i heard the local fish store has to special order them and have them shipped to the store.

either way, i am considering a lifereef sump/refugium/skimmer setup - i've heard too many good things about them and i've been emailing jeff from lifereef and he seems like he has good advice and the reviews of his products are stellar.

first things first... the purchase of the tank and stand. hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Try checking your local craigslist.com for specials and people parting with their systems and equipment. A good size to start with would be a 55 gal...it's a nice size, standard size, so it'll be easy to find equipment for it, and it's not too big, for when you decide to move.

Hello and welcome! Personally I would opt for a 75 over a 55. Still a four foot tank, but it's wider, making it easier to aquascape.

Back