Introducing My New 100 Gal Rimless

reefsahoy

Reefing newb
Hello!
I'm new to this forum so I will begin by saying Greetings All! I've been reefing for several years now and would like to introduce you to my current system. It's 100 Gallon Rimless custom built from top to bottom. Here are the specs.

100 Gallon Rimless, 3 side starfire glass With Oceanic Tech Stand
Lighting-Giesseman 2 x 150 Watt Hqi + 4 T5's with custom Moon Lights added
Custom DIY built Sump
Custom DIY ATO
Custom DIY Kalkwasser Mixer
Bubble King Mini 200 Protien Skimmer
Tunze 2 - 6055 Power Heads
MRC CA Reactor

Now for a few Pics

Here a pic of my system being filled
IMG_3570.jpg

A pic of my overflow installed in the back of the tank. Because realestate is so important i had a custom overflow built for my tank. Here's a pic.

IMG_3564.jpg

A Pic of the light with the DIY Moon lights

IMG_3555.jpg

Now fot the FTS

IMG_3626-1.jpg

Looks awesome!

I'm about to start a 100g cube build myself and was looking at that light fixture.
Why did you end up with the 150w instead of the 250w? Is the 150 enough for sps?
I might have to talk to you later about those moonlights. :)

Looks awesome!

I'm about to start a 100g cube build myself and was looking at that light fixture.
Why did you end up with the 150w instead of the 250w? Is the 150 enough for sps?
I might have to talk to you later about those moonlights. :)

Thanks!
Well conventional wisdom says 150 watt are not ideal. My tank is 20" deep by design. I wanted to use as little light power as possible. I also did not want to use a chiller! I use to run a 90 gal all sps tank on 6 t5's and the colors were more impressive than what i have now. My new light replaced 2 T5's with 2 x 150 watt HQI and the tank is 4 inches less deep so I think the lighting is more than enough. I just built this tank a month ago and some corals did suffer color loss due to the move. We'll see if they color up eventually. I'll be happy if it does

Welcome to the forums! Love the setup! Would you mind taking a fts a little further back and w/o the frame so I can get a better appreciation for the rimlessness.

Welcome to the forums! Love the setup! Would you mind taking a fts a little further back and w/o the frame so I can get a better appreciation for the rimlessness.

Thanks! sure here's a pic i have but it is framed but shows the rimless portion.

IMG_3622-1.jpg

heres a pic from when i first started the tank. excuse the red cup cause i had frags blowing around the tank so i had put them in the cup along with shells so they would attach themselves to something i could glue to the rocks. I have since finialized the aquascape and lowered the lights.

IMG_3601.jpg

Those pictures give a good argument for a "Tank-of-the-Month" contest each month. Spectacular, just spectacular! I hope my tank will look that good someday.

Those pictures give a good argument for a "Tank-of-the-Month" contest each month. Spectacular, just spectacular! I hope my tank will look that good someday.

WOW Thanks! I think alll tanks have a personal beauty all to themselves. every hobbiest strives to get their tank to a point where they think their tank looks great. When someone else see the hobbiest tank, that person believes they see a beautiful tank, however the hobbiest doesn't appreciate their own tank as much because of the never ending pursuit of perfection in their own eyes. I guess what i'm saying is beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.:sfish::sfish:

Your tank is wonderful! Lots of beautiful looking corals.

thanks! alot of work and research done! went to california and got me some really colorful stuff! some of the corals lost some colors during the move so i'm hoping i'll get the colors back eventually. thanks again!

Back