Introducing Myself

Florence

Reefing newb
Hi, my name is Florence I am from Denmark. I am new to Saltwater, I had a frechwater aquium when I was younger.
I have a Red Sea Max 130D and I have had it for 16 days. I only have 3 snails and 3 Eremite crab together with 25 kilo Live Stone. I really look forward to I can have some fish in my tank. Right now I have had brown and green alge.

I look forward to learn a lot from you all! I have already got good info from this forum:-) Sorry for my bad English, it is my second languish!

3581161506_5108973528.jpg

Hi Florence. Welcome to the site. Don't worry about your English, it's just fine. A lot of us here can't speak or write English worth a damn and it's our first language! I have your same Red Sea Max and I love it. I've had it about 2+ years. It is easy to maintain and is a great starter tank. They now have the larger 250 version; I would love to get one. I look forward to seeing more pictures as you get going.

welcome to our community, looks like you have a great start on your system. keep us posted on its progress.

Thank you all!

I am interesting in a lot of Fish, but for the 130L I have a limit. I would love to have 3 to 5 fish. The one I am about to look more in to is: Randall's Shrimp Goby, Midas Blenny, Maroon Clawnfish, Clownfish, Saddleback Anemonefish, Percula Anemonefish, Leaf Frogfish, Eiblis angelfish, Lemonpeel Angelfish, Green Mandarin. The Mandarine and Frogfish, I think I only can have in one years time. I do want a Picasso fish, but that will only bee when I get a bigger Aquarium.

Any thoughts?

you are right about the mandarin. Your tank will need to be set up for a year or so to build up your pod population before you can keep a mandarin. You will also want to look into building a fuge to support the pod population if you do choose to go that way! With a fuge you could reasonably keep a mandarin a lot sooner than one year. I would stay away from the frogfish, they are ambush feeders, and will likely kill the other fish, and inverts in your system. Also the clowns you are interested in should all be ok, but stay away from the maroon. They tend to be the most agressive and they get pretty big. You will probably be happier with one of the other clowns particularly the ocellaris. I like your choices of the goby and the blenny. I think they would do well in your tank. The angel fish are pushing it a bit, but you could probably get away with one but definately not both. You would be overstocked, and they would probably fight. Be aware that some angels with nip at your corals and inverts so there could be compatibility issues. You should also consider cardinalfish, jawfish, and firefish. They would all be good choices for your tank. Finally, you may be pushing it to put 5 fish in that tank depending on which five you pick, so take it one fish at a time, check carefully for compatibility and check in here frequently as you stock. Remember that the most peaceful fish goes in first and you need to wait 3-4 weeks between each fish. Please let us know what you decide and post some pictures after you bring them home. Enjoy!

Thank you so much! Good to know. I have to say I am already looking to get a 250 L RSM (or bigger tank) :-) Because I see the limit in the 130 L and in the future I really want to have a PisaccoFish, if it is possible. But as it is 130 L for now, I really can use your advise. So I need to go more after 3 fish then 5:-) I will look at the one you mentioned here.
I was thiking I might be ready last in July the beginning of August, is that realistic?

I understand what you are saying about the size, but consider getting started with what you have and just getting a second bigger tank later. If you have two tanks you can keep corals and small peaceful fish in the small tank, and put the bigger and more aggressive fish in the bigger tank. It will give you more flexibility. As far as the Picasso, are you talking about the picasso trigger or picasso clown? If you are talking about the trigger, you will need an even bigger tank than a 250l, if you are talking about the clown, it would do just fine in the tank you already have.

Oh that is nice, I was actually talking about the Clown, but my biggest dream is the Picasso trigger. But I have seen some discussion about the Picasso Clown, if it even exist?

you should definitely be able to add your first fish by then, just check your parameters and make sure your cycle has ended, then wait a week or at least a few days to be sure. I doubt it will take all the way until August.

Go here to read a little more about the Picasso's
Clowns will fight with other clowns/anemonefish even if they are different colors/species. You can only keep one clown/mated pair per tank.

As for the trigger, you will need a 280L or bigger, and you will be limited on what you can keep with it because they eat inverts and corals. They are worth it though, they are beautiful!

Last edited:
Ok, all the tests have been good the last week but Ammonium :-) All the brown algae is nearly good and the green algae is on the way back, and small purple is on the way here and their. Yes good idea about keeping the 130 and get a bigger one ;-) Thanks.....I had a flint with a 330 liter :-) So maybe in the future....

wait at least a few days after the ammonium is gone if nitrites and nitrates remain at zero then you will be ready. I think you will see the nitrites go up after the ammonium falls, and nitrates there after. Just keep testing. :D

Flint?

That sound resnable. At my last testing (May 30) looks like this: Salt/heat: 1026/26 g. - Nitrat - 0 ppm - Nitrit - 0,03 ppm - PH - 8,2 - Alk - 2,2 meq/l - Am - 0,25 ppm. I will test again this weekend.

Back