Introducing SPS

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So I know my tank is really not mature enough but I did some trading with a local reefer and got a few of his sps. He said sps should be started at the bottom and then worked upwards in the tank. Over how long a period should I work them up? And how do i know how high is high enough?
I mean I know when I'M high enough, but what about my sps? :mrgreen:

Just move em up a couple of inches a week untill you get them where you want em.
You'll know you got em to high when their sticking out of the water:mrgreen:

I have a few pics of some but not all yet and smugmug is down for maintenance so i can't post them yet. :(

I got some montipora (some branches and a small plate), an acan, some frogspawn, a bubble coral... i think that's it. I should have pics up tomorrow.

The montis are the only SPS on that list. Those can start out at the middle of the tank. It all depends, what kind of lighting are you using? about 12-18" below a metal halide pendant is a good starting place, then move it up from there. Montis aren't as dependent on bright light as, say, many acropora species. Congrats on your first sps! I hope it does well for you

I always have started my corals at the bottom. It doesn't matter if your lights are weaker or stronger. Corals can still bleach under less power because of different spectrum

The montis are the only SPS on that list. Those can start out at the middle of the tank. It all depends, what kind of lighting are you using? about 12-18" below a metal halide pendant is a good starting place, then move it up from there. Montis aren't as dependent on bright light as, say, many acropora species. Congrats on your first sps! I hope it does well for you

Ya, i got more than sps from in the trade... just listing my whole booty. :D
I have six T5's... Three API Blue+, one ATI Pro Color, one UVL Actinic White, and one Current 10k soon to be replaced by a UVL AquaSun.

All that stuff should do great with those T5's. Keep the monti out of the way of the frogspawns sweepers and you'll be set. Happy reefing!

Back