Introduction

twps

Reefing newb
Hello,

I'm almost new to the hobby of marine reef aquariums. By that I mean I am currently going through the information gathering process and preparing myself to start a new hobby.

So far I've read numerous books, online articles and forums, as well as interviewed other tank owners, and spent time in smaller marine supply stores getting to know things. I think I even have a "sponsor" who has been in the hobby for more than 5 years.

Honestly, it started out to be very confusing... Each person contradicts the next, as do the books and magazines, etc. But I've pretty much decided to go for it.

I am currently looking at purchasing a previously enjoyed 46G bow tank live rock set up. There are no fish, only live rock & sand, the tank, stand and cover. My plans are to gradually add fish over the next 6-8 months, then move to corals. Must have fish include a pair of percula clowns, yellow & hippo blue tangs. I'm not sure if I can add more livestock than this, what is recommended to work well, and are maybe smaller and I could add 3 or so for some added colour and filler. Other wanted items are a red star fish. I assume I need a cleaner crew also, but I'm not sure where to start here and what is best?

I was thinking of starting with 3 damsels, but after the stories I've read here and from the marine supply store I'm thinking of just staying away. Which is too bad as these are nice colourful little fish.

I'll be posting a few questions in other sections and am looking forward to the helpful responses. I chose to join this site, as the information I found here seemed to be much more helpful and honest than some of the other online forums.

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry, but your "must have fish" are not suited for a tank that size. You will not be able to keep any sort of tang long term in a 46 gallon tank -- especially hippo tangs, which are extremely sensitive to disease and stress.

The vast majority of tangs need at least a 4 foot long tank -- 75 gallons or more. Some tangs need at least a 6 foot tank -- 125 gallons or more.

If you are dead set on keeping tangs, you will need to get a larger tank than what you are planning.

one other thing tangs can be very sensitive and you cant add them into a freshly cycled tank i would recommend a 125 gallon for all of them that were i have them now in my tank

I can understand your confusion with so much information out there.Like they say "there more than one way to skin a cat".Sorry,bad pun intended,sorry cat lovers.

Welcome to the site!

I can understand your confusion with so much information out there.Like they say "there more than one way to skin a cat".Sorry,bad pun intended,sorry cat lovers.

Welcome to the site!
Ya but there is 9000000 ways to run a reef tank. lol:mrgreen: Welcome in

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone.

You know I got myself in a debate last evening at both of my LFS's. All about the use of fresh treated vs. RO water. Most of the people I spoke with at both locations only use fresh treated water (including the LFS) this conversation involved at least 6 reef hobbyists, an LFS owner, and an employee at another.

I guess that's the fun of a hobby. We'll all try different approaches to meet our time and budget. We'll live and learn on some, others we'll waste money on, and we'll come up with new ways to do things also. That's how hobbies grow and change.

Back