Introduction

coffeefish

Reefing newb
Hello all,

We are new to aquariums, my wife has always wanted one casually but we picked up some equipment yesterday and are starting to get it set up and such.

The equipment:

70 Gallon Aquarium
2076 Eheim filtration system
1 live rock
1 large lace rock
1 300w heater
1 grounding probe
1 aerator
various testing equipment and such

The Skills:
TBD :)

we are currently working on getting the specific gravity down to the correct range and hoping we didn't kill all the bacteria in the live sand and rock we put in before we checked the specific gravity.

You will need more rock 50lbs+ dry rock at least, substrate(not really fine sand.) and powerheads also bucket of salt mix and probably a brute trash can to mix saltwater. Never mix saltwater in aquarium...

Cycling could take any wheres from 6days-30days+ depending on your methods you take while cycling. I would push towards a fish-less cycle. :twocents: you will want to test Ammonia and Nitrites/Nirates during the cycle as well. To see where you are.

You also may want another small pump or powerhead and heater in trash while mixing. You always want to mimic your SG and Temp with your tank water as close as possible. Stability is key with Saltwater aquariums.

Kyle.

I totally forgot to mention that we put 70 lbs of live sand in, I did mix in the salt according to the table, but my sg is through the roof so I have been exchanging what is in there with straight RO to try to bring it down.i was told that If I exchange 1/2 gallon daily to clean ro with 1/2 cup salt that I don't need to keep the brute because the tank is big enough that it will bring it to temperature with no adverse effect. I take it that was bad info?

I totally forgot to mention that we put 70 lbs of live sand in, I did mix in the salt according to the table, but my sg is through the roof so I have been exchanging what is in there with straight RO to try to bring it down.i was told that If I exchange 1/2 gallon daily to clean ro with 1/2 cup salt that I don't need to keep the brute because the tank is big enough that it will bring it to temperature with no adverse effect. I take it that was bad info?

+1 on the sand.

Um who ever told you that should go shake their head over a cliff.. No don't do that at all. That is way too much salt... it should be a 1/2cup Salt = 1 gallon if I'm not mistaken when mixing. Also what are you using to test your SG?

IMO go get a brute trash can...small pump to move water and a heater...

20G Ro water mixing about roughly 9ish cups of salt dependng on what your SG to be at.... 1.021-1.026 is a safe range.

Note: before mixing salt make sure your shake or roll salt bucket around to make sure nothing has settled and your getting the best out of your mix.

Last edited:
I typed that wrong, it was 1/2 cup per gallon, sorry
Currently I have a cheap hydrometer that has been calibrated for the correct temp. It is my understanding that my next purchase should be a decent refractometer. Any recommendations?

I typed that wrong, it was 1/2 cup per gallon, sorry
Currently I have a cheap hydrometer that has been calibrated for the correct temp. It is my understanding that my next purchase should be a decent refractometer. Any recommendations?

I'm recently been using a Refractometer from Bulk Reef Supply and it works great and hasn't let me down. Needs to be calibrated once a month (takes like a minute no big deal.)

But as for mixing saltwater do the trash can thing like I noted or unless you have some free space have a little saltwater mixing station. :D Also you have a 70G aquarium you will need more than a gallon of saltwater at a time aka scheduled water changes or an emergency water change. The more prepared you are in the hobby the less stressed you and your fish are. So you will enjoy it more. Trust me.

That makes sense. What kind of pump and heater do you recommend? Thanks a ton for the info. I know the questions that people ask can seem very silly or obvious to someone with experience.

I would pick up a cheap 50-100W heater for a 20-32G Brute trash can. Pump or powerhead should only cost 30 bucks anything to throw 200-300GPH.

Side Note: Mix water the day before usually what I do anyways. I would never do a water change with water that hasn't mixed for at least for 4 hours.(fish being in tank that is)

There is never any silly questions in this hobby. You just hope to guide the new Aquarists in the right direction. I just hope I'm helping you.

Cycling I would do Raw Uncooked Shrimp. or One and Only Bacteria and ammonia solution works well too. Used both on different tanks I had and both great.

Last edited:
I have the sg down to 1.025, everything else is starting to look better, temp is stable at 78.5 to 79 or so. all of the hermit crabs that were hiding on the live rock i picked up are active and such, and we are starting to see the algae brighten. going to go get more testing equipment tomorrow and see what else we need to do. every bit of knowledge helps

Welcome to the site.

Refractor is priceless. I had a calibrated cheap on and it didn't last long untill it was uncalibrated. Oh and buy it online, I save nearly $20 buying online vice my LFS.

Also, I totally agree with the 20 gallon trash can or even more. I have a 55 gallon with about 45-50 gallons ready almost always. I never really thought I needed a heater until I had an emergency and needed to so a huge water change. It was much easier to have the water already to temp. For a 10% water change you might not need it depending on where you live or where you are storing it. But for $10 or less, why not be prepared.

Back