Invasion of the Killer Dinos

Can you document some of this with some photos? I for one would like to see what it is doing and what to expect from blackoouts etc. I hope you can get them under control. I find it weird that reefers everywhere are suddenly having dino problems. 2 years ago I wouldnt of known what a dino was.

I did a full documentation of my dino outbreak and 12 day blackout with photos. :D

With all the threads about Dinos which I had never even heard of until recently you guys have me looking at every little brown thing in my tank. I'm glad your getting a handle on it though.

Dinos are pretty easy to spot because they form a mat of air bubbles. They are usually brown, stringy, slimy with bubbles hanging off of them. They are distinctive from other algaes in that way.

What causes the outbreak ?

Depends on which species of Dinos you get.
Some thrive in prestine water conditions living on the same nutrients,calcium,and carbonate that our corals do.
While others like more nutrient rich water like any other algae.

wow .... that's all I can say. You have a lot of patience. I don't know if I would of stuck it out like you are doing. Great thread read. Good luck. Your tank is going to look awesome when you are through all of this.

It's funny, Carolyn. The kalk overdose killed all my coralline immediately (it all turned white), but it also seemed to kill the dinos! Hahahaha. There were only a couple bubbles on the back wall yesterday (I switched back to full lighting as not to keep the corals stressed after the kalk incident).

See I am dealing with them now too, but it must not be the toxic kind cause all my fish are fine, they're just annoying as hell cause they cover everything.

The dinos took a while to kill my fish, it wasn't a quick death. They were slowly poisoned as they ate it, and it only affected the algae eaters in my tank.

Well, since the kalk overdose, I haven't seen dinos in my 90. But, they sprung up in my 10 gallon tank afterwards! I have no idea what's going on with my tanks. I want to just throw them into the yard right now.

Glad to hear they area gone from your 90.

Wow... I see what they mean about patience in this hobby.

Keep at it... and goodluck!

how did you have a kalk overdose? I am about to try kalk with my tank cause of dino's but am kind of afraid now cause some of my rocks have 7 yr old coraline encrusted on them.

Back