Invasive Shrimp ???

da lone fishy

Reefing newb
I bought some live rock from the pet store. Then I put the rocks in the tank. Then about a week later i heard some noises that sounded like mantis shrimp. so i looked i my tank and i saw one tiger snapping shrimp. just yesterday i was moving my live rock and i found two more?????
R THESE SHRIMP REPRODUCING ARE THEY GOOD OR BAD ?????

I havent had much experience with them, but some people either set traps, or put the rock in slghty cold water but thats kinda harsh and doesnt always work.
Maybe try a bottle trap with some food in?? Hopefully someone else will chime in.

i caught one with a net, but i found they are worth some money. what should i do with them?
i could use them to cycle my new tanks. could inverts cycle tanks like fish?

Last edited:
Cycling with any creature is cruel. Shouldnt be done. I would see if your LFS will take them for store credit, or maybe just sell them on craigslist or something.

You can Keep them, but I wouldnt, better off to take them back or setup a smaller tank for them. Nice creatures, but no point having them as when they get big they can eat your fish! hahaha

They are not a mantis shrimp, but when they get big they can eat small fish and so forth. My personal opinion is to take him back, or keep one if you really like him :)

I know its not a mantis, i was just saying the sort of stuff that hitchhikes on rock, like i got a mantis. ;)

Sounds like a pistol shrimp and if so they are friendly....well to a point. Mine wouldnt harm a fly, yet i hear him clicking away all the time.

Back