Inverts for fuge

Variko

Reefing newb
Im planning on stocking my 55gal fuge with chaeto ulva and gracilaria, and a 3-4 inch sandbed. I am planning on culturing it with Algagen's tisbe copepods and Gammarus amphipods. I may add a few other of their pod species as well. Would peppermint shrimp be a good idea? If I add Mysid shrimp will they eat all the pods? Should I get some of the small bristleworms and spagetti worms? Anything else I should/could add? Thank you for the input. My tank is ordered and everything is coming along slowly but surely.

I would take the sandbed out and leave it as a bare bottom and put live rock rubble in, instead. If you're not going to do a 6+" sandbed then there is no benefit to having one in your fuge. I personally wouldn't waste money on pep shrimp just to put them in the fuge.

If that's what you're looking for then you're better off putting a bunch of them into your DT then/

They should be fine in your DT with fire shrimp, I've got cleaners in with my fire shrimp and they both hang out in the same little cave area.

I'm not sure if they'd go after pods or not. If you use live rock rubble, you'll get critters down there and won't actually need to "add" them in.

I've had mysis hitch hike in on various things from the LFS... but I never added them on purpose. They never bred like the pods did.

I've not heard of people adding live mysis either. I also am not so sure if peppermints are prolific spawners. I think you will be just fine with pods.

I dont think you should bother with adding anything at all to your fuge, it makes no difference in the long run. I agree with Brian though, remove your sandbed if it isnt 6+

Why dont you want peppermint shrimps in the DT? they will breed there and will do well and will eat algae and other bad items in the tank. They are great cleaners.

Im starting this tank with all dry rock and dry sand. I plan on adding a bit of live sand and some bottled bacteria to start my cycle. Im not sure if I am going to add any live rock or not. The sand bed in the DT will be 4"+ as the main fish will be a colony of yellowheaded jawfish. All of the live rock will be lifted 2" above the sand bed on a pvc frame. There will be 2 fuges. The first is the 55 macro tank on a reverse light cycle. It will have a 4" sandbed. I know some of you have said no less than 6" for nitrate removal. Most of the books Ive read and articles in magazines have stated anything over 3" is enough. Some have even stated that hypoxic layers can form in as little as 3/4" for the anarobic bacteria to remove nitrate. The bottom 1" will probably be mud as well. The other fuge will be a 29 mangrove/macro tank on the same light cycle as the display tank. Since Im not adding any live rock I want to add some of the beneficial organisms. Im sure when I buy my macro from reefcleaners.org I will get plenty of pods. I will still most likely add some of the algagen stuff. I plan on seeding the tank with scrapings of coralline from mt LFS and blasting it through the tank with a powerhead to seed it. The more I read about mysid shrimp the more the idea of them entering the arena of the DT from the fuge appeals to me. I guess I will have to get the pods up and running, then add the mysid and see if they decimate the pod population. OR I may just punt and add live rock and let whatever grows grow. I had planned on not adding any live rock and having the only invaders come in on the macro I buy. I would like to try to control what enters this tank. This may be impossible and I may be acting like a kid trying to filter yellow snow, instead of simply eating the white snow, because i want to prove the people wrong who tell you not to eat yellow snow. I am also contemplating not using a skimmer. Ill own one incase i fail, but Im planning on moving very slowly and trying not to use it.

there is no wayto be 100% pest free no matter what you do,if your adding corals there will be critters on them,you add macro and you still have a chance of picking up unwanted pests,heck even fish can carry pests as well,i think you are going to be disapointed when you find pests you didnt know you had

I would not add mysid shrimp to your fuge or whatever. They will eat your pods, and they will also eat any larva they do produce if can catch it.

Also, have a sand bed if you are going to do a planted a section of your fuge, but it is much easier and you get just the same benefits if you use and unplanted macro, like cheato.

That was the answer i was looking for! I found plenty of places to buy live mysid, but didnt know if i should. Im going to stock my fuge with chaeto ulva and gracilaria. I should get plenty of pods from this when I buy it from reefcleaners. I may add algagens tisbe and gammarus also. I also think if I stock slowly and use a quarantine tank I wont have to be so picky about trying to control what enters. Thanks again littlefish!

Back