inverts?

Cody_thenewguy

Reefing newb
With adding a bunch of inverts to my reef tank, is that gonna limit the number of fish I can have and coral? I was looking at the liveaquaria site and they have the "cleaner packs" the numbers just seemed a little outrageous. And I was thinking of 2 cinnamon clowns, 1 diamond watchman goby, 1 heraldi angel (long after the other fish have acclimated) then 3 or so schooling fish? Btw I'm looking at a 55 gallon tank, is that enough room for these fish? Nothings set in stone I'm just trying to get my game plan set before I start buying equipment!

Also is a refugium and sump necessary in a set up like this? I plan on getting soft corals then much later on going with some sps. The light I'm looking at getting is a maxspect R420R... is that gonna cut it for corals? I'm lost when it comes to protein skimmers and powerheads though :confused:

7 fish in a 55 may be a bit too many. A sump and or a refugium is not required but it does add to the water volume and provides a cleaner looking tank with all the equipment in the sump. And the refugium provides a safe place for micro fauna to reproduce, as well as a place to keep nutrient exporting algae. I've never heard a bad thing about reef octopus skimmers they seem to be the best. Power heads well there's a lot of them. Right now I'm running a JBJ wave maker with two 500 GPH heads s a 36 bow front. The only complaint I have about it is the pumps have plastic impeller shafts that can easily brake during cleaning. I can't comment on your light I have never researched it.
Good Luck

No. Inverts do not affect your bio load. Your tank will eventually be able to handle that many fish. I've had 8 for quite a while now. A sump and fuge are not necessary. I don't have them. Lots of people don't. Be careful with those cleaner packs. They have waaaaay too many critters. They'll starve. A good pack for a 55 is reefcleaners package for a 20 gallon

+1 Sarah, I got the 55 gallong cleaner ad half of them died after the 2 week or so. I think lack of food.

I have 7 fish in my 55 gallon and I haven't had any problems. I only have about 60 lbs of live rock but I'm getting ready to add some more just so I don't have any worries. I'm running a sump though. I wanted a place to put my octopus skimmer, which I love and it works awesome.

Mine is an older skimmer. They don't sell this model any more. just check out the Octopus Skimmer ans see which one works for you.

+1 On the cleaner crew, I ordered a batch off a trustworthy website when they had a sale and bought what I thought was appropriate for my 125 G reef tank and was definitely wrong, on the up shot my brittle stars are having a field day and are not going hungry that's for sure! So, if I would have to do it again I would have honestly gone with a 1/4 of what I ordered.

Back