IO Mix

adampw

Reefing newb
I have noticed the past couple of times when mixing up some saltwater, that there has been a fine white film on the top of my water, or in my water when using IO salt mix. I always clean my 5g bucket and use a power head to mix along with a heater to heat the water prior to putting it into my tank. Does anyone else have this problem with IO?

I don't think its the IO you are using.The only thing I can think of is that you should fill up the bucket with water first then add salt.

I used to use IO. I also noticed that I had a white film and very low calcium levels.Thats why I switched over to Oceanic.Since the switch Ive not had any more problems.

I do not think the IO has what a reef tank needs with out some additives. Calcium is low .I use Oceanic and it mixes clean.

I use IO and have never noticed a white film exept on the first bag I used. I think it was because the bag was very old though. Good luck.

I used Oceanic at first, then went to I/O bags because I think it was a little cheaper. I am going to switch back to Oceanic because the I/O bags I have bought always have clumps in the bag, and then comes the white film. Also the calcium levels are ridiculous. I'm having a hard time raising my calcium levels as it is. Thanks for the replies.

If it has clumps then you must have old or open bags. Thats what my problem was with the first bag, after the first bag I havnt had a problem, its all been lose and mixes fine.

Back