iPhone apps?

does anyone know if these programs (or something like it) will work on blackberry? Thinking of getting a new phone, and this may just be the tie breaker for the iPhone :P

Hello tankedchemist,

I simply wanted to let you know that as the developer of AquaStatix I know that my app isn't currently available for a BlackBerry.

The issue is that each device has it's own software development kit & often use different languages. Thus, Apple apps are written in Objective C which is the language used for Mac & iPhone development. Per a cursory search it appears that BlackBerry is using the Microsoft Dev Studio and in looking into Andriod I know they use Java. Thus, I personaly chose a platform where I believed I would reach the widest audience (i.e. the iPhone). I will also admit that I have a preference for Mac products but all in all to have a BlackBerry version or an Andriod version would mean that I pretty much have to re-write everything in the langauge of the device & learn the specific libraries of that device. Thus, while I can't speak for all developers I know that a port of AquaStatix would be a big project.

Hope that helps
BlackPerl

Thanks BlackPerl, and by the way, I love the pun in your name. Gave me a good chuckle. That's sad news for me, though. I hate mac, as a personal choice because one shocked me pretty bad once... did you know cavity fillings make your mouth conductive? :D... But, anyway, I'll keep thinking about it.

Why an iphone dcan? I've only heard bad things about them recently.

Thanks BlackPerl, and by the way, I love the pun in your name. Gave me a good chuckle. That's sad news for me, though. I hate mac, as a personal choice because one shocked me pretty bad once... did you know cavity fillings make your mouth conductive? :D... But, anyway, I'll keep thinking about it.

Why an iphone dcan? I've only heard bad things about them recently.

Did you french kiss one?

Bad things about an iPhone? What? Everybody I know only raves about them. It is a wonderful device and only getting better with each version.

Nooooo, I was a teenager and way cooler than I am now, so I had better things to kiss. :D I was trying to rip off a piece of plastic (with my teeth...) and my sister knocked me over, so the electrican plug thingie hit my teeth.... and I tasted metal for like a week.

I've only heard bad things about them recently.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Best phone ever.
I'm no fan boy... it's definitely not perfect. In fact I hope recent phones like the Palm Pre with the ability to run apps in the background pushes Apple to further improve the iPhone. But even with it's fault, it's still the best overall package. The next version running on 4g (should be out by the end of next year) should be verrrrrry interesting and hopefully available with other carriers.

ROFL, sorry don't mean to belittle the incident but my imagination has an image similar to that of where Tom (the cat) gets electricuted and all he is about a foot off the floor with all his fur standing on edge.. (LOL)

In Mac's defense I think you would have had this issue with any electrical appliance that was plugged in & came into contact with not only your teeth but saliva as well. Lol, that being the case I would expect the same results from a PC, perhaps tankedchemist would like to be part of a controlled experiment?

Evil Grin
BlackPerl

I too would like to see a recreation of the teeth/Mac incident though I doubt you could do it again if you tried! ; )

I have considered porting my apps to Blackberry and Android but truthfully the app sales on those platforms are so small compared to iPhone that it is really not worth the months of work to learn a new SDK, etc.. iPhone can run background applications but Apple chooses to not allow developers to take advantage of that feature as they don't want to interfere with the basic operation of the device as a phone. Believe me many, many developers have asked, begged, pleaded to be able to do things in the background and Apple is opening up some limited ways for us to do so, maybe it will be more extensive in the future.

Meanwhile the iPhone is such an amazing platform and from the rumors the Apple Tablet or at least one version of it will run iPhone OS which gives us an opportunity to use a more powerful processor and more screen real estate for our present and future apps.

Marlene

Oh, I could easily manage to do it again.... just stick a live wire from the mac in my mouth. But I'd rather not, thanks. And my hair's longer now so it would look even more ridiculous.

I don't know, I keep vacillating about what phone to look at. I've been with Verizon for years, and I sort of need it because they have the best coverage and I travel extensively. I wish I could get the iPhone with Verizon, then I wouldn't be quite so torn.

If you can hang on until 2010 I think there will be a Verizon iPhone and believe me I would switch to Verizon in a heartbeat. Hey tankedchemist, just noticed you're in Eugene, I'm in Portland.

Marlene

I personally think all cell phone companies suck...you just have to pick the lesser of all evils. Ya, verizon has good coverage, but they're not EVERYWHERE as they advertise, and plus...between them and AT&T, your bill could almost buy you a new car each month depending on your minutes/data plan. I was never happier with a cell phone company than when I was with Nextel before they got bought out by Sprint, but then back then a cell phone that fit in your pocket was a premium feature, :lol:. Now adays, there's either bad service, bad coverage, a huge bill, no phones, etc. there's always something to hate about any carrier :mrgreen:

As for what you developers are doing...VERY COOL! I just unfortunately will never own your product, I can't bring myself to buy an IPhone :sad: there's just something soooo Fascist about EVERYONE owning the same phone in the same color, with the same features by the same manufacturer...it's cool that they've forced the industry into a new generation of smart phones in order to compete...I just can't do it, but then again, being anti-establishment isn't very unique either :lol:...so I'm just a non-conforming hypocrite without a cool phone and program :sad:

As for a suggestion to your program: What are your "Help" Options like? Are there articles in the program that one could look up for "Why are my nitrates high?" If not, you should have link that sends them to this site and automatically searches threads for "high nitrates" :lol:

All you ppl with these fancy phones....lol.

I moved the thread out of Reef Fish and into Lighting, Filtration & Other Equip.

Hi All,

Not sure if this thread is still being watched but I just wanted to let everyone know that v 1.1 of AquaStatix is now out and offers the ability to add historical data as well as to add free form notes for dosing & other relevant information.

Thanks
BlackPerl

Back