Ipod Container In-tank Fuge : )

Rufio808

Reefing newb
So, I got bored today and was thinking of something to do for my girlfriend's 5 gal invert tank. I looked at an empty ipod package I had laying around and BAM, I decided to turn it into a in-tank fuge. I mostly got the idea from looking at threads of converted HOB filters to fuges, which I'm thinking of doing for my DT. My HOB filter is small though (rated for 20 gal).

Here we go!

35bf70m.jpg

f02fb9.jpg

First I took apart the algae clip. I managed to get hit by one of the bracers. :frustrat:

2s8gqkl.jpg

I then superglued the part with the suction cup to the top of the case.

177hpj.jpg

I used some thin string to help pull a rubberband through two small holes I made at the bottom of the case. This will help keep the fuge closed.

20g1eyu.jpg

The rubberband allows for easy access and removal of the macro. The case closes well by itself, but I didn't want to take any chances.

wj6m34.jpg

Drill some holes at the top of the case for flow and your done! Easy :mrgreen:

2uj45tg.jpg

I'll try to update this in time to see if the fuge is working or not.

Will do! I don't have any chaeto, which I want. I just have some random macro that came with some live rock. Maybe I'll give John at reefcleaners a buzz.

I would drill little holes all around the case, if they are only at the top, it might not be good enough water flow and the water in the case might get stagnant. But really only one way to know.

Oh if your going to use it for mainly for algae/pods you can put it anywhere there's light. If you strictly want somewhere for pods to grow I'd put it behind some rocks so it's less of an eye sore.

I took it out awhile ago. I moved the macro to the HOB fuge since I got a small light for it. If I didn't have another tiny light I would have kept it in the tank.

Back