Irene casualties

Melosu58

Reef enthusiast
Irene has come and gone. I had the same thing happen that happens during hurricanes like the tree on the neighbors truck and the usual house damage. I was not prepared for the loss that would happen though. Even during Isabel I only lost power for a few hours. I lost it for 24 hours this time. By the time I could get a generator it was twelve hours and my three tangs were dead. I had read where people were saying on threads here that there fish were Ok for days. Well I`m here to say that during a power loss you only have hours. I never answered those power loss questions because I personally didnt really know. I do know now to real hard experience. I lost my yellow tang (13 yrs), my yellow eyed kole tang (10 yrs) and my Scopas tang (8 yrs). I also lost my 4 stripe damsel (the second fish I ever got 13.5 yrs ago) My daughter gave me her generator to keep for future use. I feel so bad because we are ultimately responsible. Here are their pics.

029.jpg

Aw man, that sucks. Sorry for your losses. :(

I'm honestly a little surprised you lost that much livestock that quickly.
Was it from rising tank temps?
Seems odd that 12hrs of no water circulation could have been the only cause.
But like you, i haven't been down that long.

No the temp was 78 degrees. I thought the same thing. It was not filtration either as I have 200 lbs of LR and a skimmer. My FW fish didnt even blink an eye. I`m just so sorry for them.

Sorry for your loss! I had said on a different thread that when I went througha few hurricanes here in Florida and I started losing fish right around the 24 hour period. I'm sure it might depend on the tank and the number of fish. I have a small load for a 300 gallon and as I stock up I'll keep in mind that the time will be much less if there is a power outage and similar to what you experience. Start it up again because you obviously do a great job with the fish living as long as they do!!!!

Back